Bearded highlighter
    Jun 2008

First Hydraulic Brakes

I have recently ridden with my first pair of hydraulic brakes and would like to upgrade my current brake set up. I rode with Avid juciy 3s front and rear and after looking them over noticed that they are not the easiest to adjust.

My current brake set up is BB7's with 203 rotors which have more than enough power for what i need. If it helps im 140lbs fully outfitted for a ride and would rather have too much power than too little.

Im basically looking for hydraulic brakes that are the easiest to adjust and maintain, price isnt a real issue.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by EHCRain
    easiest to adjust and maintain
    shimano xt.

dead simple to bleed.
    parts available anywhere.
    easy to set up, nothing funky.

good power, good feel, good ergonomics, good value.

overall they are just well thought out brakes.

if you want to bling them out, get some straitline levers and a set of goodridge lines.

i've had a few sets of brakes over the years but shimano makes me the happiest overall.

i'm sure others will have their opinions too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

SHIMANO's a bargain

but, FORMULA brakes are the best. K24's or The One's.
    Absolutely Amazin

I should be studying...
    Another vote for shimano, I've been running the orginal XT quads since they came out in 2001ish and the original XTR monoblocks since 2005. Other than a few pad changes, no maintenance what so ever. Excellently reliable!
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hope brakes if money is not an issue. They are completely rebuildable in case you need it in the future (every seal will degrade over time, its nice to know there are cheap replacements), have the "easiest to bleed" reputation (haven't needed to do it yet on my new M4s), don't need a bleed kit (which saves money), superb lever action feel, and fantastic looks as a bonus. I won't make remarks on performance yet (too short a time in use), but do some searching... Setup is like every postmount brake caliper should be set up, just watch the Hope videos. I also recently researched my new brake options and went with the old style M4s (my M4s with braided hoses really don't need a brake point adjustment, front and rear feel very similar) which are cheaper than the new Tech series will be.

local trails rider
    What sort of riding do you do?
    203mm rotors suggest big downhills.

Bearded highlighter
    Jun 2008
    xc on a 29er, i upgraded before i really did any research and just went with the largest i could find

local trails rider
    Not sure how the 29er wheels affect braking but I am sure you would do just fine with smaller rotors.

I haven't been on hydros for long but the Shimano LX set that I have on the "new" bike feels pretty good to me, so far.

I should be studying...
    Yeah if money is not an issue I would look into Hope & Formula as well. Both seem to have seem to have a fairly complaint-free following on this board.
    Formerly known as iceaxe