GMM
    mtbr member

First Disc Brakes - Hope Minis?

I have a RX-100 on order and will be using Disc Brakes for the first time. The Hope Minis seem to be good brakes based on the reviews. Based on the following criteria in order of importance, are these brakes a good option for me (XC rider, 166 lbs) or should I look elsewhere?

1) Minimal Drag
    2) Ease of Maintenance
    3) Weight

I'm sure any discs will be a great improvement over V's in terms of stopping power and modulation, so that is not my top priority.

mtbr member
    I've said a zillion times that they are pretty okay brakes. You WON'T be disappointed

mtbr member

Louise FR

Consider the Magura Louise FR as well. Compares very favourably with the Hope Mini against your criteria.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker
    Consider the Magura Louise FR as well. Compares very favourably with the Hope Mini against your criteria.
    The Louise FR weighs nearly what the 4-pot Hope Mono4 does (around 450g) Don't get me wrong, the Louise is a nice brake and I don't use a ultra-light brake myself (HopeMono4's, but I weigh 195 not 165) nevertheless, the Mono Mini is more in the class of the Marta than the Louise.

IMHO the Hopes are a more maintenance free brake. It is truly a fit and forget brake. (the fitting can be a little tedious though)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    The Louise FR weighs nearly what the 4-pot Hope Mono4 does (around 450g) Don't get me wrong, the Louise is a nice brake and I don't use a ultra-light brake myself (HopeMono4's, but I weigh 195 not 165) nevertheless, the Mono Mini is more in the class of the Marta than the Louise.

IMHO the Hopes are a more maintenance free brake. It is truly a fit and forget brake. (the fitting can be a little tedious though)
    Sure. I was mainly thinking of lack of drag and easy mainenance.

I think the Maguras are less critical on their setup and the use of mineral oil is easier to deal with when it comes to bleeding or if you want to cut the hoses.

Not suggesting that the OP shouldn't go for Hopes, just that the Maguras are excellent too. The Louise FR also just came out top in tests in one of the UK mags (sorry, don't know which).

mtbr member
    Sure. I was mainly thinking of lack of drag and easy mainenance.

I think the Maguras are less critical on their setup and the use of mineral oil is easier to deal with when it comes to bleeding or if you want to cut the hoses.

Not suggesting that the OP shouldn't go for Hopes, just that the Maguras are excellent too. The Louise FR also just came out top in tests in one of the UK mags (sorry, don't know which).
    Hope's brakes rarely, if ever, need bleeding and similar care to avoid spills must be given to oil or brake fluid based systems as either fluid can contaminate pads and/or rotors.

Dude!
    I have them...they rule. However, I have never used any other brakes so I have nothing to compare them too...but they still rule.

mtbr member
    Hope's brakes rarely, if ever, need bleeding and similar care to avoid spills must be given to oil or brake fluid based systems as either fluid can contaminate pads and/or rotors.
    EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can actually cut and shorten Hope brake lines without needing to bleed the brakes! I was skeptical when I heard this, but if you follow Hopes instructions it is not only possible but fairly easy to shorten the lines without requiring a bleed.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    I would definitely not compare the Louise FR to the Hope Minis. Perhaps the Magura Marta but not the Louise. Hope Minis are nice but in my humble opinion, are in the XC category by today's standards. I know some use them on non XC bikes but in relative terms, they are in a different category in my book.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I would definitely not compare the Louise FR to the Hope Minis. Perhaps the Magura Marta but not the Louise. Hope Minis are nice but in my humble opinion, are in the XC category by today's standards. I know some use them on non XC bikes but in relative terms, they are in a different category in my book.

Cheers
    Well, I'm a XC rider, weigh 155 lbs and I run Louise FR. Very happy with them.

Well, I'm a XC rider, weigh 155 lbs and I run Louise FR. Very happy with them.
    good point....absolutely...I would never suggest that they would not be great XC brakes if desired. I only meant to say that I think they Louise FR are in a different category than say the Hope Minis of Magura Martas where the Louise FR can be used effectively as XC brakes but could also effectively be used as a much more robust brake where I think the Martas and Hopes will exceed their intended threshold, in general. Heck, even though I have the Louise FRs, I end up riding XC most of the time anyway on that bike but the reason I got them instead of what I consider a XC type of brake, is that when I need more robustness for non XC riding, I have the power there.

Plus, if you stick with smaller rotors than I have (I have 210mm front/190mm rear which of course adds weight of adapters), they are pretty light brakes anyway and would make an awesome choice for a XC brake for someone who wanted extra power when they needed (dont they only weigh about 420grams without adapters and 160 rotors which is pretty light anyway?).

Cheers
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 02-14-2005 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Heck, even though I have the Louise FRs, I end up riding XC most of the time anyway on that bike but the reason I got them instead of what I consider a XC type of brake, is that when I need more robustness for non XC riding, I have the power there.

Cheers
    I agree completely; got mine for the same reason and is why I suggested that the OP consider them. I should have explained that at the time.

I agree completely; got mine for the same reason and is why I suggested that the OP consider them. I should have explained that at the time.
    to be honest, i was simply being a weight-weenie for fun on my recent XC build where I went with the Marta SLs. If it were my only bike, without a doubt, I would get the Louise or Louise FR. They are just an awesome brake and as I have mentioned before, they have incredible levers which would be optimal for use with twist shifters as well. I got carried away with my XC build and was trying to see how light I could get the bike without sacrificing quality but weight-weeniehood is over-rated for sure.

Plus, it does not hurt so see such great reviews from others as well for the Louise FR which definitely speaks to it being a sweet robust brake.

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/louise_11_04.php

Cheers

GMM
    mtbr member

Thanks All

Thanks to all. I appreciate the input.

RVM
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Are Hope levers reversible?

Meaning mounting a lever on left or right? Or are they specific?

I'm thinking about just getting a front brake since my frame doesn't have a mount for a rear brake without getting an adaptor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RVM
    Meaning mounting a lever on left or right? Or are they specific?

I'm thinking about just getting a front brake since my frame doesn't have a mount for a rear brake without getting an adaptor.
    They are specific R or L

formerly Giantxc
    I'd also suggest looking at the Avid Juicy brakes.

I have a set of Avid Juicy 7's and Hope Mini's and IMHO the Avids win out in every catagory but weight. They're more powerful, easier to set up, have a more consistent lever feel, and squeal less. Obviously lever feel is a personal preference, but that's my view.

Mike

UKMac

I agree

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can actually cut and shorten Hope brake lines without needing to bleed the brakes! I was skeptical when I heard this, but if you follow Hopes instructions it is not only possible but fairly easy to shorten the lines without requiring a bleed.
    I've shortened several Hope brake lines and never had to bleed as a result; very easy. In fact the only time I've ever bled my hopes (and I have two sets) was when I accidently popped one of the pisons out (oops, I won't do that again).

Overall I think the Hopes are great brakes.

mtbr member
    Yes the Jucy7's perform better, they should! They weigh a lot more! If you want to compare them to a Hope compare it to the Mono4 (not the MonoMini) it weighs about what the Jucy7 does (roughly 450g)

This comparing ultra lightweight brakes to light freeride brakes is silly. Of course they perform better! If I were to compare the Hope Mono6 Ti or the Magura Gustof to the jucy7 or the LouiseFR they would suffer badly by the comparison, but that comparison is again silly (I'm not sure they don't suffer in comparison to the Mono4 which IS in their weight class, but hey I'm biased)

To the original poster: The MonoMini is a great brake has good power, and great modulation and feel. Properly set up it has good pad retraction (silent, no scraping unless it is muddy) and it is one of the most reliable brakes out there (most MonoMini owners have never had to bleed their brakes!) It would be a great choice for an ultra-light brake.

mtbr remember
    yep, another MonoMini owner here (185f/165mm rear). Never bled mine yet either, had them just about a year. I'm thinking of putting on braided ss lines. I'm also currently building up a FR rig, and thinking of putting MonoM4's on there w/ the new 05 rotors w/ the alu. carrier. I would say the Mono's have the best modulation/lever feel of any brake I've ridden, they are your best friend when manualing long downhills or riding wheelies and stoppies.
    Then again, I'm thinking of upgrading my trials bike and putting Magura Louise's on there front and rear, replacing the Avid Mech front and XTR V rear.
    I'm wondering about the El Caminos though??? Monoblock caliper like Mono's and an adjustable lever like Juicies, but more stout- the stupid plastic knob on Juicy's easily brake when endoing, etc.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    yep, another MonoMini owner here (185f/165mm rear). Never bled mine yet either, had them just about a year. I'm thinking of putting on braided ss lines. I'm also currently building up a FR rig, and thinking of putting MonoM4's on there w/ the new 05 rotors w/ the alu. carrier. I would say the Mono's have the best modulation/lever feel of any brake I've ridden, they are your best friend when manualing long downhills or riding wheelies and stoppies.
    Then again, I'm thinking of upgrading my trials bike and putting Magura Louise's on there front and rear, replacing the Avid Mech front and XTR V rear.
    I'm wondering about the El Caminos though??? Monoblock caliper like Mono's and an adjustable lever like Juicies, but more stout- the stupid plastic knob on Juicy's easily brake when endoing, etc.
    Have you seen the Hope "trials edition" MonoMini it has a larger caliper (and piston) and pad and wider rotor contact path. I haven't seen one in person, but somebody was posting pictures of it in comparison to the standard MonoMini here (this forum) not long ago.

Just a thought...

mtbr remember
    Have you seen the Hope "trials edition" MonoMini it has a larger caliper (and piston) and pad and wider rotor contact path. I haven't seen one in person, but somebody was posting pictures of it in comparison to the standard MonoMini here (this forum) not long ago.
    yeah I've seen them, not in person, but they look stout for sure!! Isn't it the MonoTrials? the piston diameter looks huge, along w/ the much wider rotor contact patch. But I don't think they would fit in the middle mount on a Brisa B26D frame(between seat and chainstays)? Maybe for front though, but you really dont need as much power in the front as the rear.
    Schralp it Heavy.