mtbr member

First bike with hydraulic brakes, getting a bit of leaking, normal?

Attachment 828000
    Got a new bike delivered today, came with Shimano hydraulic brakes. (Shimano BR-M395, Hydraulic Disc, W/ 160mm Rotor)

Above you can see that Shimano mineral oil was coming out of the right brake cord near the brake handle. I did not see this until first trying to use the brakes on the initial test ride. After wiping the oil off, additional oil was found again after a very short test ride with multiple brakes tests.

This is my first bike with hydraulic brakes. I've read that there is a "break in" period for hydraulic brakes, but this leak seems unusual. I've never had hydraulic brakes previously, is the above normal?

Attachment 828001
    A second view of the oil.

The detailed post with all the issues is here:
    Just got my new 2013 GT Karakoram 29er, has the following issues out of the box.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Frustrating!

The oil isn't normal. I can't see well enough, but it's probably either leaking from where the hose goes into the lever or possibly from the reservoir (I haven't worked with the M395, but there might be a rubber gasket in the reservoir that is out of place). If it's coming from the hose, I would suspect it was either yanked, not assembled properly, or the bolt may just be loose. You could try checking the bolt and see how tight it feels. You don't want it super tight, but it's a bit more than moderately tight.

Check the reservoir, tighten the bolt and see how it goes?

mtbr member
    Definitely not normal. I agree with the above poster. It could potentially be as easy as tightening fittings or bolts to fix.

mtbr member
    The hose connecting to the lever was very tight, more than moderately tight, and that was where the oil was coming out of.

The good news is that Nashbar was very good about initially talking about a new brake assembly to me, and then just decided it would be easiest and most prudent to just send a whole new bike and let me return the first one after the second one arrives. Looking forward to an oil leak free riding experience.

Thank you both for your help, rep given, and glad to get some help from people more experience than myself.

mtbr member
    Good luck with the replacement bike!