mtbr member
    Nov 2006

finished fighting Elixer..pls help choose new..

Like many many people here I am fighting to keep my Elixer R's quite..and I am close to finished trying.

I would like some input on some nice / reliable / reasonably priced brakes. I would like to have a reasonably light set but at this point it is not my first priority.

I have been reading lost but am looking for input on:

Formula RX
    Hayes Stroker Gram (attractive prices online)

I am completely open to suggestions and input (as long as it is not Avid).

Thanks!

Formerly Curtezyflush
    Shimano M775 (XT's) I was hard pressed to find any bad reviews so I gave them a shot. Paired with XT rotors they have been nothing but gravy. Can find them for around $220 plus rotors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the input. You are right..very strong reviews and it seems like you can find them for a decent price.

Has anyone used the XT and Formula RX? Really curious for a performance / reliability comparison.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Xt with servowave provide the most pad clearance which was the deciding feature for me to make the switch
    more power than my juicys esppecilly coz now I can run sintered instead of organic pads

and no worrying about adjusting for rubbing after removing quick release
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgobie
    Xt with servowave provide the most pad clearance which was the deciding feature for me to make the switch
    more power than my juicys esppecilly coz now I can run sintered instead of organic pads

and no worrying about adjusting for rubbing after removing quick release
    Which pads are you running. I was running the stock Shimano resin pads and didn't feel that they stopped that well (along with fading on downhills).

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For the price you'd be hard pressed to beat XTs (the Formulas are going to cost a bit more). I can't comment on the Formulas but my XTs (M775s) are very good.

@BitterDave - I run the metal pads (M06) but it's mostly wet here. The resin pads aren't up to the job I find. I have no noise from the brakes under wet/dry conditions with these pads and the pad life is very good.

IMO and IME, another very underrated brake is the Magura Louise BAT. More powerful than the XTs and can be found for relatively cheap too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Imrunning the pads that came stock onavid g3 rotors 160/140
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I have been reading the reviews for the Louise BAT and they do seem to be popular and reasonably priced.

I appreciate the info..I have some reading to do on all these

Rollin 29s
    I may be in the same boat, having spent about $150 on different rotors, pads, bleed kit, not to mention time working on my CRs that I've had since November. The first ride out with Alligator Serration rotors and new pads, the squeal resumed. Not as bad as the horrid Avid rotors, but still ridiculous considering my 12 year old first generation XT 4 pot hydraulics are still working flawlessly and silently and they've never been bled or serviced!

I'm leaning toward Shimano since they've never let me down, but I will also check out other options such as those Louise BATs.

Avid won't be in the brake business indefinitely if they continue to lose customers due to squeal issues that they don't seem able to fix.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Shimano pistons have been useless recently, I've had a Deore and XT caliper both have a lazy piston, it moves but always returns to fully in which means constant aligning to keep it centred and when the pads get too warn the piston pops out with the oil and well game over.

Seen to many issues on the Elixir so avoided them to.

Mates Stokers the pads kept falling out mid ride.

The new Shimano deore redesigned inards, good power 980 is it ? sounds like the best bet and a return to Shimano being good at brakes hopefully ( Gamble at this stage )

Running J3's no squeel currently and constant bleeding until I find something I like.

Don't like the level pivot point on the new brakes to.