Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Finger Positioning and Lever Options: Update 1

Pictures are worth 1000 words, right

So as you can see, when I have my thumb lever in a good position (sram shifter) My fingers for breaking are too far inboard. My hand naturally rests that way.

The brakes are Hayes Stroker Rydes. I have tried switching the shifter with the brakes, and it gets way too far inboard, so I just need a little more inboard.

I'd love to be able to one finger most of the time, but I cannot do it with these levers, because I'm not on the right spot to pull very hard.

what are my options? What should I do??

Do people shift their hands for braking vs shifting?
    Last edited by vwcalbug; 03-31-2009 at 01:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    figured out the resizing of pics
    Last edited by vwcalbug; 03-29-2009 at 12:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vwcalbug
    Pictures are worth 1000 words, right

So as you can see, when I have my thumb lever in a good position (sram shifter) My fingers for breaking are too far inboard. My hand naturally rests that way.

The brakes are Hayes Stroker Rydes. I have tried switching the shifter with the brakes, and it gets way too far inboard, so I just need a little more inboard.

I'd love to be able to one finger most of the time, but I cannot do it with these levers, because I'm not on the right spot to pull very hard.

Do people shift their hands for braking vs shifting?
    There are brakes--or at least brake levers--that are designed for one-finger braking. I don't know how they're designed differently, but something's gotta be different. Maybe more of a mechanical advantage on the lever-end. Who knows.

In either case, I have never had a problem with using two-fingers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    even with two fingers, the positioning of my hand is too far inboard, its not in the "pocket" of the lever

...idios...
    ""even with two fingers, the positioning of my hand is too far inboard, its not in the "pocket" of the lever

I agree. By the looks of it, you could simply put the brake inboard from the shift lever. You'll probably find that the throw of the lever needs to be adjusted in towards the grip, but it'll transform the feel of your brake: you're changing significantly your mechanic advantage.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    ""even with two fingers, the positioning of my hand is too far inboard, its not in the "pocket" of the lever

I agree. By the looks of it, you could simply put the brake inboard from the shift lever. You'll probably find that the throw of the lever needs to be adjusted in towards the grip, but it'll transform the feel of your brake: you're changing significantly your mechanic advantage.
    I have tried putting the brake inboard of the shifter, and it moves it too far in. If i moved it inboard, I would need longer lever, if they exist?? I will try it again and take pictures. It might be sufficient for one finger breaking, but im not positive these brakes are strong enough for my riding and one finger action....

Do they make shorter levers?

local trails rider
    You could put the brake lever inboard and adjust the reach so that you get the end of the lever with one finger. At least my disc brakes are powerful enough to use with one finger.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    even with two fingers, the positioning of my hand is too far inboard, its not in the "pocket" of the lever
    Looking at the picture, you could easily move the controls about 1/2cm to 1cm further in (i.e. toward the stem).

You just might have to pivot your hand inward slightly when shifting, but that is really no big deal. I do it all the time.

Hard as nails
    Give these a try - they work great for 1 finger braking
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="4"]Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau[/SIZE]

http://vimeo.com/6232260

~Disc~Golf~
    I don't like 1 or 2 fingers breaking - Shoot I don't like any of my fingers breaking - too painful!!!

sorry, I couldn't resist
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Try mashing the brake real hard. I think you will find that the lever rotates in such a way that, with 2 finger braking, your findgers actually are right up against the bend at the end of the lever.

Unless your brakes actually engage after .1 degree of lever pull, chances are most "real" braking happens with the lever pretty close to the bar; thats the position you actually want them adjusted for. You don't really need high leverage (fingers at end of lever) unless / until you are hammering the brakes for all they are worth, right?

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

The problem is with the X5 shifters...

Is there reach adjustment on those Ryde levers - they're missing the dial-thingy from the Trail levers?
    A couple of my friends have had problems of this sort with Stroker Trails and X9 and X7 shifters on their Reign 0 and 1 respectively. It came down to the fact that the X7 body, I'm sure the X5 in the pic is the same, can't be adjusted on the clamp like the X9 can.
    When you run the levers inboard of the shifters you might find that the shifter is on-top of you when the brake lever is in the correct position. You need/want to move the shifter further inboard but you can't do that with the X7 (X5?) but you can on the X9.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DGB
    Is there reach adjustment on those Ryde levers - they're missing the dial-thingy from the Trail levers?
    A couple of my friends have had problems of this sort with Stroker Trails and X9 and X7 shifters on their Reign 0 and 1 respectively. It came down to the fact that the X7 body, I'm sure the X5 in the pic is the same, can't be adjusted on the clamp like the X9 can.
    When you run the levers inboard of the shifters you might find that the shifter is on-top of you when the brake lever is in the correct position. You need/want to move the shifter further inboard but you can't do that with the X7 (X5?) but you can on the X9.

yea the brake and the shifter are as close together as they can get...The shifter does interfere.

as i said before, moving the brakes inboards moves them way too far.

maybe i just have to buy new brakes or new shifters haha, any excuse, right?

mtbr member
    I heard the Strokers are secretly compatible with the Avid matchmakers. But the X5's arent, or are they?

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I used Formula brakes with SRAM shifters. One finger braking requires setting the brakes inboard of the shifters. Works fine then
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Idea! If you've tried everything else, try rolling the bars a little

Hey VW, your thread peeked my interest as I used to be a two & even four finger breaker Picture(s) kind of weak, & taken in non-riding conditions, so really not sure what it looks like in action, however, I've found that once I moved the lever inboard a little & rolled the bar(s) slightly, I found where I could catch it a little more toward the optimum place on lever & comfort position. That said, I adjust my levers so that there is play before they engage. I adjust engagement different front & rear, because I'm most likely applying a little more pressure on the front (Big ring side) & I just naturally pull as needed. The Rear, well, thats my multiple shifting side & I as I don't want as much engagement as I do w/front, that lever engages at little bit later, so lever is depressed even further before she actually starts catching. Btw: those are Formula The Ones in pic w/XO triggers, on my AM everything bike. My XC has Formula K24s w/X9 twisters, the finger position with twisters is always Spot-On One Finger all the time I'm just about to put a a pair on new XO twisties on the XC, they've been sitting around for a while, I'll bring along camera

Obviously, VW you've been spending time moving around your controls to find a natural position, try rolling your bars a little forward/or back, I see you got risers and the rise & sweep will change your controls around quite a bit with a little roll.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Always Learning

Have you thought about twist shifters?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks for all the replies guys.

i don't like twist shifters, so its out of the question.

secondly, you guys are using formula brakes, which are awesome and are MADE to be put inboard and do one finger shifting, and I have been considering getting "THE ONES" but they might be more brake then I need??

I already have rolled the bar for better body position.

If they made some levers that were maybe an inch longer, i would be able to put them inside the shifters, anybody know of any? I'm kinda at the point where I don't want to spend money on these though, because I see an upgrade in the future, the rydes just don't quite have enough power when I'm doing high speed decents.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I have the Formula Megas on my DH bike with 200mm rotors and they have insane amounts of power.

On the other bikes they are K24 and K18s with 180mm up front and 160 in back. They also have a lot of power. Using bigger rotors I think they would be find for most riding short of full on DH. There is no difference in power between the K18s and the K24s, just some different materials used and the addition of a feel control dial to the 24s.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Agreed I use Formula The Ones and i've got them setup like the F1's in the photo above.
    They simply dont need 2 fingers - the single finger at the end of the lever
    gives finer control / modulation (the end goes through a longer distance for the same piston movement) and also greater leverage obviously.
    Your also gripping the bars with more fingers giving better bike control resisting the natural temptation to use the brake levers for some grip when it gets hectic - also its also less strain on your hands IMO.

So like others here - jump the brakes inboard inside the shifters. may take some tweaking of shifter/brake rotation to ensure they dont foul each other.. Also you may need to adjust lever reach and wind it closer to the bars a bit.

Most bike shops simply slam them right up against the grips which gives people the impression thats where they should be but really they are leaving it up to personal preference but people seem to just leave them where the bike shops put them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

so here are some pictures of putting the levers outboard. The brake interfers with the shifter again, and when i put the brake lever in a good position for 1 finger braking (cannot get it to do a good 2 finger braking) the position for the shifter levers are pretty bad, and are rotated fairly high, my thumb interfers, etc

Im going to try riding it like this. But I have a feeling the one finger thing won't work out and I will be in the market for a new set of brakes, haha

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Aye only way is to try it and tweak it a bit. took me some fiddling to begin with and i used to comfort 2 finger to begin with. Just feels wierd.. but once your used to it i'd say its safer.
    If the brakes are powerful with a light throw then the second finger is just giving the other finger a bit of company on the lever and not really doing anything IMO.

The Formula The Ones are good one finger brakes but setup can be a nightmare and they eat pads so its hard to recommend them wholeheartedly. Personally id stick with your current brakes and only if you really cant live with them consider changing.. perhaps different shifters?

Your lever looks a long way out from the bar as it looks like a long reach - look at Wiz photos and look how relaxed his hands are and hes clearly not straining to reach - really comfortable solid grip on the bars with an easy reach to the levers imo. -Also can the pods on the shifters be moved at all?

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketMagnet
    ...Your lever looks a long way out from the bar as it looks like a long reach - look at Wiz photos and look how relaxed his hands are and hes clearly not straining to reach - really comfortable solid grip on the bars with an easy reach to the levers imo. -Also can the pods on the shifters be moved at all?
    And the Wiz suffers from stubby mits....unlike OP who should benefit from long & lanky gars. (like a guitar, your brake lever/shifter positioning should be mint, you got the mitts for it) Somethings wrong, no wonder you posted. I see your bunched up in one photo...maybe the whole problem is the shifters pod. I suggest taking off the shifters (let em hang) & see if you like the brake levers in ANY position. I suspect you will....You got me interested & thinking aloud

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    IMO those brake levers look plenty long enough (just how powerful the brakes are is another matter). Definitely give the 1-finger braking a go, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Pic #4 from post # 21 doesn't look too far off but, as I said before, the problem lies with the shifters.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DGB
    IMO Pic #4 from post # 21 doesn't look too far off but, as I said before, the problem lies with the shifters.
    ii captain! Instead of new brakes go the cheaper route - new shifters. My All Time favorite set-up was the mix-Master or what ever they call it. Attach the shifter pod to clamp on formulas, very simply design but didn't work w/the Ones, maybe they have come up with a new disign...anybody know? Chris?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast