Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Finally gave up on my MT8's

Well, I wanted these to work but although that had great modulation, they just didn't have the power I need.

I really wanted these to work and tried to convince myself that they were great. Heck, you can probably find some post on here with me saying that they are great.

I think that if you weighed 130 lbs and had large hands, these may be just fine but I am 210 lbs geared up and have small hands. When I am cooking it into a hard corner, that I'm not familiar with, the power is just not there.

I have always liked XT's but I got a good deal on some XTR's so I went with them. I will install them tonight and test them at the trail tomorrow.

650b me
    Thanks for your candor. Can anyone tell me how these compare with the last-gen Marta SL's (in terms of stopping power)? That's what I'm currently using. I bought a pair of SLX brakes recently because I got a good deal on them, but I haven't yet installed them. Would they be more powerful?

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    Can anyone tell me how these compare with the last-gen Marta SL's (in terms of stopping power)? That's what I'm currently using. Would they be more powerful?
    I switched from Marta Mags to MT8's using the same rotors (Storm SL) and I don't think there is a lot more power on the MT's, maybe just a little and some more modulation and gram savings, anyway I'm happy with them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    Well, I wanted these to work but although that had great modulation, they just didn't have the power I need.
    Same here bro, after 4 sets of MT6 I ditched them in favor of XT's as a try out. Liked them so much, I just got the XTR Trail's 2014. Power of the Shimano's is so much more, and a real pleasure. With the MT's it's very hard to lock up the rear wheel, especially in slow sections. With the XT's : one finger is al it takes. Furthermore, you don't have 50% of lever dead travel like with the MT's, instant engagement of the pads.

The one finger braking of the Shimano's felt odd at first, but is so natural - I love it.

Ow!
    Wow, I wonder what is going on? I have the cheepo MT2s on my SC TRc (180 f 160 r). Granted, I do not run rough, scary, extended downhills on that bike, but I can lock the back up easily and can most of the time on the front, with one finger. The Maguras are not nearly as powerful as some Formulas I use (and even the Avid Elixirs I have used), but still have great modulation and good power. It seems Maguras generally are not as powerful as some others (this was true with the old Louises that I used), but it seemed they were more than adequate for most uses. The TRc has been resting this summer, but prime riding time is coming where I live, so I will check the MT2s again soon.

I am interested to see who else posts here with their disappointment, or praises.

mtbr member
    The Marta SL's with the Storm SL's were Magura's best brakes so far - massive power and initial bite. If you check out pictures of the Topeak-Ergon team, you can see many of them are still riding the Marta SL's, and not the MT's.

I'd also like to add that the Storm SL rotor's in combination with the MT's generate a light form of judder, both front and rear. It's ok when the brake pads are new, but over time the issue surfaces again. Cleaning the discs etc. doesn't solve the problem.

I have also noted that a number of German shops were selling sets of MT6's and MT8's for half the price three weeks ago. So, what's happening?

mtbr member
    I will likely throw myself over the bars a couple of times tomorrow.

I have always 1 finger braked and I did so with the MT8's too so I will likely squeeze too hard and go flying...lol...

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    Thanks for your candor. Can anyone tell me how these compare with the last-gen Marta SL's (in terms of stopping power)? That's what I'm currently using. I bought a pair of SLX brakes recently because I got a good deal on them, but I haven't yet installed them. Would they be more powerful?
    SLX are one of the most powerfull braking systems out there according to some pretty cool dyno tests done by bike radar.
    How We Test Hydraulic Disc Brakes - BikeRadar

I have them and they are definitely more powerfull than the previous brakes I┤ve tried (tektro, elixir 1, magura mt2??). But its not only the power that makes me like them so much, its rather the great feel they give. Their ergo is just great. They work so well that you dont even realize they are there. Braking becomes almost like an autonomous motor reflex.

cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am 210 lbs geared up and have small hands
    i am around that weight and can lock up the rear anytime, you probably couldn't figure out how to get a good bleed, mine sucked from the factory

mtbr member
    Bleeding and bedding are key to getting the most out of the MT8's. I don't like that complete on/off feel of XTR's will little modulation. YMMV

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    i am around that weight and can lock up the rear anytime, you probably couldn't figure out how to get a good bleed, mine sucked from the factory
    You probably don't enter corner's at near the speed I do...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Bleeding and bedding are key to getting the most out of the MT8's. I don't like that complete on/off feel of XTR's will little modulation. YMMV
    I had them bled by 3 different top mechanics and the never did feel right plus the "deadspace" throw was just silly.

I always thought XT and XTRs were on/off feeling too until today, they felt awesome with great modulation and tons of raw power. It was nice to have a solid brake on my bike again, it made my ride faster and better.

mtbr member
    A nice review / comparison on XTR and MT8 brakes : Shimano XTR Brakes: Final Review

The first thing I noticed, was that locking up the rear wheel and drifting corners, something that has become very natural to me with the XTRs, took a lot more finger force to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    I only run MT4s and somehow I can brake with just one finger, with only 160mm rotors. I have done lift service on this bike. Admittedly, my brakes are bled correctly, and I am 180 pounds with XL gloves. I doubt I have more power in my fingers than any normal person, though, and any good brake has adjustable reach levers.

Anyway...

My wife's bike has XT brakes and they do not have on-off modulation, but there is a very, very noticeable detent a short ways into the travel. If you pull the lever and then pull a properly bled Magura MT, this step/detent is as plain as day.

That detent does not exist on Magura MT brakes. When you are gently feathering the brakes down a steep descent, THIS is where the modulation matters and as I said, early in the lever travel Magura wins over Shimano bigtime.

Regarding that bit from 29 inches (different post, not this one I'm quoting), drifting your rear tire is fun but on many trails it should be avoided as it can easily deform the terrain and widen the trail.

official eMpTyBRain
    Still not enough power even with larger rotors? I would think a guy who weighed 210 fully geared up should be using 203s front and rear.

I run old school 2010 Marta SLs. I began with 160 rotors front & rear and it was fine for all but long steep descents. I switched to a 180 up front and the power increase was substantial. I weigh 175 fully geared up.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I weigh 222, and had the Marta SL's before the MT8. The Martas had more power, but the MT8 has WAY more modulation. I put the 203 front, 180 rear Storm SL rotors, and I have a LOT of power. Less than the Marta SL Mags, but more than enough for me. I just rode Cannell Trail with them, and dropped 8,600 feet with them, and they were amazing. Ask Hawg.

mtbr member
    Larger rotors would have helped/fixed the power issue but not the 9" of throw before the pads actually touched them.

official eMpTyBRain
    Larger rotors would have helped/fixed the power issue but not the 9" of throw before the pads actually touched them.
    That means they weren't fully bled and or the pads/rotor were well worn.

mtbr member
    You've definitely got either a bleed issue or a faulty cylinder. Since you and several local shops have tried to bleed the brakes, that might point at the cylinder.. but both of them are bad?

That said, I can't blame you for switching now. I just don't like the detent in Shimano brakes. It's there in SLX and XT. I haven't tried XTR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Or perhaps yours are overfilled

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    Or perhaps yours are overfilled
    Haha, you know the secret to making these things firm...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    The brakes and rotors only have 400 miles on them and I change the pads just last month to see if it made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    You've definitely got either a bleed issue or a faulty cylinder. Since you and several local shops have tried to bleed the brakes, that might point at the cylinder.. but both of them are bad?

That said, I can't blame you for switching now. I just don't like the detent in Shimano brakes. It's there in SLX and XT. I haven't tried XTR.
    Yep, I doubt that both cylinders were bad. The same exact problem I have is all over the Magura forum so who knows. I guess there's a chance that everyone who tried to bleed mine were incompetent????

Anyway, the MT8's are gone now and I am happy so it all worked out fine.

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    +1, my MT8s are great if you know how to properly bleed them.
    If the issue stated by the OP really was as bad as claimed Magura would have offered to fix or replace them.

MTBR Member
    OP...did you ever try out sintered pads? I found those made a significant difference in the stopping power of my MT8's. Prior to the sintered, I would find myself occasionally blowing through turns if I was going in a little too hot.

The Marta definitely had more stopping power, but zero modulation. The MT is way better overall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    +1, my MT8s are great if you know how to properly bleed them.
    If the issue stated by the OP really was as bad as claimed Magura would have offered to fix or replace them.
    I never spoke to Magura, knowing that I have always loved and used XTR or XT, it was better for me to dump them and get what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    OP...did you ever try out sintered pads? I found those made a significant difference in the stopping power of my MT8's. Prior to the sintered, I would find myself occasionally blowing through turns if I was going in a little too hot.

The Marta definitely had more stopping power, but zero modulation. The MT is way better overall.
    Yes, I tried both pads and still didn't have the power I like.

It's all cool, I am happy and I hope the guy that bought mine is happy. He did call me last night complaining that they had no power, I told him to call my lawyer...lol...

mtbr member
    You should change your front 180mm adapter by a genuine Shimano one, more in particular the Adaptor SM-MA90-F180P/P

Check out the difference, definitely not as tilted as the Magura one :

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast