mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Few brake issues with my Tektro IO discs:

Here is the bike:

http://www.rei.com/product/760846

FWIW, I am just under 200 lbs. and 6'5. I am semi-happy with the bike for slogging my lard ass around, mostly riding for fun and fitness. Bike is pretty new and only about 500 miles on it. 75% road, 25% dirt.

I am having a few issues (or at least, perceived issues):

---Both rotors seemed to be warped, and when descending a hill, I get a lot of 'pulsing' - as in, it feels like one part of the rotors is grabbing more than the others, causing a noticeable pulsing as I am braking. Tried truing them with a crescent wrench, but not a lot of luck (I used masking tape on the wrench, no scratches or anything).
    ---Rear brake seems to groan/grind (sounds like someone is dragging a plastic spoon in the rear spokes) on descents.
    ---Lots of squeal, but from what I have heard, not a lot that can be done about that.
    ---I have cooked the front brake a few times on some steep descents.

So I have two questions:

---Are these issues I can fix?
    OR
    ---Should I think about some new brakes? I have seen people say the Avid BB7's are awesome for the money - are these going to be better than what I have? Can I use my levers and cables if I went with something like that?

I am not looking for anything crazy - it is just I am not thrilled with the brakes (four issues I mentioned above).

Thanks, I am very new at this, so not really sure if I am asking the right questions.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Tektro IO are a very entry level disc brake. You can try upgrading pads or going to larger rotors...but by the time you invest in those, your pretty close to affording Avid BB7's. They are a significant upgrade over the Tektro's and yes you can use your existing levers and cables. The BB7's really excel with SD7 levers and good cables and housing...but even without these it will be a nice upgrade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah, I am not really willing to spend money on these brakes when I can get new (and superior?) ones for $100.

Related question - would the Avid's fit my bike and work with my levers and cables? Would I want 160 or 185mm (or 185 front/160 rear)? Any adapters or the like needed to install them? Give me an excuse to order some parts and mess around (I don't think that is a hard sell for this forum!)

I Have Cookies
    get the avid's ditch the tektro's! and yes it will work with your current levers and cables just keep the 160's they will work fine! unless you are doing some big downhills been using mine on my rockhopper for about a year now and I got mo problems I'm 6'4" 250 lbs
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo