Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,981

    Fed up with Hayes. 1 last question

    Okay, so maybe it wasn't Hayes' fault for me loc-titing my lever reach adjustment bolts in and stripping the head out; no biggie, my hands aren't tiny, but this latest issue is my last straw I think. After finally getting rid of the drag (it is possible to have zero drag, woo hoo) and bleeding them perfectly, I turned my bike upside down and now my brakes feel like crap. Went for a ride, used the brakes a lot, and still no normal feeling. I'm sure this has been discussed, but is this "normal" or do I have another problem with my 2003 Hayes Mag? Everyone says their Hayes are durable. What's up?

  2. #2
    it's....
    Reputation: Strafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,905
    By hanging your bike upside down, common sense would dictate you allowed the air bubbles to traver further into the hydraulic system.
    Have you tried bleeding the air out?
    You shouldn't blame Hayes for your mechanical incompetence.

  3. #3
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,997
    If you have air in your lines it can migrate up when your bike is upside down and this makes the brakes feel crappy. I don't think this is a Hayes specific issue.

    To remove the problem you have to bleed the brakes, but you could try this.... (keeping the bike upright) Take a few elastic bands and set them so that the levers are fully squeezed. Let the bike sit this way overnight. The brakes should feel pretty good the next day.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    By hanging your bike upside down, common sense would dictate you allowed the air bubbles to traver further into the hydraulic system.
    Have you tried bleeding the air out?
    You shouldn't blame Hayes for your mechanical incompetence.
    Uh huh. I have to blame someone! Seriously, I was like "what now" after this latest thing. Last month I had to bleed my brakes a good 20 times in one weekend. Darn air bubble. At least now I know it's nothing major. The expert bleeder I am, should only take me 30 seconds to fix this latest round.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    If you have air in your lines it can migrate up when your bike is upside down and this makes the brakes feel crappy. I don't think this is a Hayes specific issue.

    To remove the problem you have to bleed the brakes, but you could try this.... (keeping the bike upright) Take a few elastic bands and set them so that the levers are fully squeezed. Let the bike sit this way overnight. The brakes should feel pretty good the next day.
    Thanks. I'll try that right now as I'm leaving for a long work day (which is longer than I sleep). Got nothing to lose. Might save me a bleed.
    Last edited by danK; 08-31-2004 at 08:04 AM. Reason: more info

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Okay, so maybe it wasn't Hayes' fault for me loc-titing my lever reach adjustment bolts in and stripping the head out; no biggie, my hands aren't tiny, but this latest issue is my last straw I think. After finally getting rid of the drag (it is possible to have zero drag, woo hoo) and bleeding them perfectly, I turned my bike upside down and now my brakes feel like crap. Went for a ride, used the brakes a lot, and still no normal feeling. I'm sure this has been discussed, but is this "normal" or do I have another problem with my 2003 Hayes Mag? Everyone says their Hayes are durable. What's up?
    If you hang your bike upside down, if their is any air in the system it will go into your caliper and get traped in there. So when you bleed your brakes make sure you get all the air out of the caliper first by pumping and releasing the bottle pressure until there is no more air coming out of the caliper as the Hayes instructons say. Make sure the hose route is heading upward so the air will rise to the top when bleeding ( you make need to prop the front of your bike up to do this). Also the bleed port on the master cylinder needs to be the highest point and perpendicular to the ground. Somethimes you may want to tap the brake lines a little and the master cylinder to dislodge any air bubbles, move the handlebars around a little to change the angle of the master cylinder to help get all the air out of the master cylinder bladder. Also use new dot 4 brake fluid that hasn't been opened very long were moisture from the air can contaminate the brake fluid. If you need a new lever reach adjusting bolt (M/C pushrod) I have the kits for the Mag 2000 - early 2003, the ones that use a 2.5mm allen wrench and have a aluminum cylinder and not stainless steel cylinders like the newer 2003-2004 Mags. http://www.balleracing.com/Hayes_MasterCyl_PushRod.htm
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com
    Last edited by BalleRacing; 08-31-2004 at 07:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Similar Threads

  1. Hayes Question
    By Quattro in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 08:37 AM
  2. quick easy question about hayes rotor sizes
    By .WestCoastHucker. in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 04:49 PM
  3. Mountain Bike Gear Ratio Calculator V4.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 10:57 AM
  4. Mountain Bike Gear Ratio Calculator V4.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Canadian Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 10:27 AM
  5. Hayes 9, 6" to 8" swap with Q.R. question
    By Beau in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 10:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •