mtbr member
    Jan 2004

F'd up my Hayes, then repaired it with glue!

Talk about a bad day. I was adjusting my Hayes Mag front disc and slapped the wheel back on. I spin the wheel, stick the business card(s) in (the tip to get the best rotor/pad clearance), started yanking the lever and nothing was happening. So I take the cards out, spin the wheel and yank the lever more.

Ping, ping, ping!!!! Crap goes flying. Turns out I had forgotten to put the pads back in and busted the piston pin off! Take the caliper apart and.... I Super Glue the pin back in.

Bleed the brakes and pray I don't kill myself on the ride in 30 minutes.

Was the pin not set in the piston permanently for idiots like me?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Don't know the details, but the caliper is subject to heat, so glue, loctite, etc. may fail when the caliper heats up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Talk about a bad day. I was adjusting my Hayes Mag front disc and slapped the wheel back on. I spin the wheel, stick the business card(s) in (the tip to get the best rotor/pad clearance), started yanking the lever and nothing was happening. So I take the cards out, spin the wheel and yank the lever more.

Ping, ping, ping!!!! Crap goes flying. Turns out I had forgotten to put the pads back in and busted the piston pin off! Take the caliper apart and.... I Super Glue the pin back in.

Bleed the brakes and pray I don't kill myself on the ride in 30 minutes.

Was the pin not set in the piston permanently for idiots like me?
    You may want to put new pistons in, I don't know how well the glue will hold up. The pistons are made out of a ceramic and the pins can break off without the pads in. The caliper pistons don't cost too much http://www.balleracing.com/Hayes_Caliper_Piston.htm You will need a air compressor that has a rubber nozzle to pressurize the other side to blow the pistons out, otherwise you will break the piston pin off if you use pliers to pull them out.
    Erik
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BalleRacing
    You will need a air compressor that has a rubber nozzle to pressurize the other side to blow the pistons out, otherwise you will break the piston pin off if you use pliers to pull them out.
    As long as the system is still assembled, you can simply pump the lever repeatedly until the piston comes out. Use a screwdriver to prevent the other piston from coming out.

Ole.