mtbr member
    Sep 2008

favorite V brake set ups?

Everybody is talking about there favorite discs, and it is great info to read about. I have not converted yet, although I am working on ordering parts to do so. I love my Avid sl's with my Paul Love Levers, so tell us your favorite V brake set ups.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Nothing fancy....

simply Avid SD7 brakes and SD7 Levers. Love the adjustability of the lever pull, and the cartridge brake pad system makes pad swaps for different conditions a snap. And the big bonus, you don't have to sell your first born to afford them. That and I've never had a set that didn't work very well.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Upgrade your life
    I run a XT BR-M770 on the back with ST-M770 dual control levers.. Love it!

mtbr member
    Old school XTR levers and Avid SD7 brakes. They just plain work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just can't commit to disc brakes. But then I still love alum. hardtails with 80mm forks for racing. Anyway, I always had SD7 levers and brakes. I tried the SL versions just for kicks. It knocked a whopping 80-100grams off the bike. I was worried they would be flexy or weaker than the SD7's. So far so good. Same great performance and a teeny bit lighter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    avid ultimates are, well, the ultimate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    avid ultimates brake and levers ... they cost a lot ... but you have what you pay for !!!

I Love my Rize

Good job! Same as you

Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    simply Avid SD7 brakes and SD7 Levers. Love the adjustability of the lever pull, and the cartridge brake pad system makes pad swaps for different conditions a snap. And the big bonus, you don't have to sell your first born to afford them. That and I've never had a set that didn't work very well.

Good Dirt

I run koolstop salmon inserts and alligator superfortress cables and they are almost as good as my J7's which are perfect.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For the folks who have run Avid Ultimates: What makes them better? They look awesome, but are they more powerful than SD7's or SL's?

Harrumph
    Paul Lover Levers, Nokon Cables, Avid Ultimates. My pet peeve is brakes that don't feel right, not a problem with that setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Bear

Only one option...

If ever stuck with V-brakes again I would use the oddball option.

Magura HS-33's.

Nothing else.

Had them...loved them....still love them. Moved on to discs on the new bike.

No known cure
    Avid Ultimates with full Ti bolt kit, ceramic rims and XTR ceramic pads. My only complaint is slop at the lever blade. There should be none at this price point, but you can get rid of the slop with thin disc brake caliper washers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    any adjustable leverage avid lever, with any avid V, with Kool Stop Salmon mountain pads, and no noodle on the front cable, and some extra washers between the pad and the V blade. Very powerful.
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    followup...

+1 on the kool stop salmon...i run them on every non-disc brake in my stable, including the roadies. very rim-friendly, excellent stopping (esp wet) & modulation, somewhat shorter life however.

i would be surprised if there was a significant difference in stopping power between the ultimates and an SL/SD setup (though I've not used the others). i'm using ultimate calipers w/SL levers, and for me it was about the smoothness of bearings over bushings...well, and maybe a little about the bling. SLs are actually a hair lighter.

-1 on the love levers...i've used them and i found them flexy (the clamp portion that is perpendicular to the bars). better modulation perhaps? i've used shimano levers too, and i'm back to avid levers w/avid calipers.

+1 on the maggies (+100)...while not technically v-brakes, they rock! i still run some hs-22 tomacs (essentially hs-33s) on my vintage ride. buttery smooth, rim-crushing power.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    older XTR rapid fire levers, Avid single digit Mags, Kool Stop Greens (Ceramic), Mavic Ceramic wheels.

I am pretty light weight (<140) and these work just fine.

mtbr member
    Avid Arch Rivals, Avid FR5 levers, teflon cables, MEC cartridge pad inserts. They don't last a long as others but at 2 dollars a wheel, you cant beat the price, and they are soft compund thus you dont blow throug a hoop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Old school XTR (2003?) levers and brakes.

el cheapo
    Aug 2005
    I've been running the same pair of cheap Promax V-Brakes and a set of cheap factory takeoff aluminum levers on my 26" single speed for 10 years. I usually use cheap tektro threaded pads. If you clean the rim properly cleaned and the pads set up right it stops incredibly well.

I'd go as far to say they stopped better than my Juicy 7s when they were right out of the box (prebled from the factory). Once I bled them, though, there was no comparison.
    [SIZE=1]I am CHEAP[/SIZE]

Meh.
    I've had Avid Ultimates, Arch Rivals, Pauls, and XTRs. All are great brakes. I loved the parallel push on the XTRs... but eventually the linkages developed some play and they made some noise. And I somehow managed to crack one of the arms.

Devolution is real!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manning
    any adjustable leverage avid lever, with any avid V, with Kool Stop Salmon mountain pads, and no noodle on the front cable, and some extra washers between the pad and the V blade. Very powerful.
    ???? How do you run a front V without a noodle?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Older XT levers and XTR V-'s I have the XTR levers and they dont feel as nice as the XT's
    Great combo.
    KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota200x
    ???? How do you run a front V without a noodle?
    Get longer cable/housing set, pull the metal noodle tube out of the machined aluminum "hat" (not sure what it would be called, but it now becomes a cable stop), reassemble. Some noodle "hats" will accept housing, some won't, I've put a housing ferrule on the housing when using the hats that don't accept the housing directly.

Let the cable/housing set make a nice gentle "U" from the lever to the cable stop.

You won't believe how much friction is in a noodle. Even new ones.
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manning
    Get longer cable/housing set, pull the metal noodle tube out of the machined aluminum "hat" (not sure what it would be called, but it now becomes a cable stop), reassemble. Some noodle "hats" will accept housing, some won't, I've put a housing ferrule on the housing when using the hats that don't accept the housing directly.

Let the cable/housing set make a nice gentle "U" from the lever to the cable stop.

You won't believe how much friction is in a noodle. Even new ones.
    yeah especial the rear... i was thinking of trying to take one of those rolamajig things and trying to rig it up expeciallhy for the rear brake instead of a noodle... could take some trial and error but hey im sure it can be done

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    SD7 Levers + SD5 calipers + Koolstop Thinline Salmons = Longlasting, rimsaving, powerful, mud/water shedding goodness.