mtbr member
    May 2011

favorite rotors?

Im running 2012 XTR on an XC oriented Superfly 100 but cant use the xtr centerlocks i was planning on.

The 6bolt XT's weigh too much for me, so i was thinking about using either the Avid XX cleansweep or the Formula R1's. I am more concerned w/ quality and performance over weight, but that being said, id like to keep it at or under 110g/rotor.

Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    KCNC rotors are the whip. 72g/rotor and stop great.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I like my Magura Storm SL rotors. Work great with my SLX M665's.
    94g for the 160mm

mtbr member
    My favorite is the 6-bolt shimano rt76. Before them, I tried some Avid, Formula and Hope rotors (none of them were 2-piece though), and each of them sucked in its own way. Shimanos are exactly right in every regard, except the weight and the stupid washers to fix the bolts (?). I'm okay with the weight, and some loctite secures the bolts.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirus View Post
    My favorite is the 6-bolt shimano rt76. Before them, I tried some Avid, Formula and Hope rotors (none of them were 2-piece though), and each of them sucked in its own way.
    hahaha yeah, i was afraid of that. Shimano might not be fancy and uberlight, but they know what they're doing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I like the Avid XX CSweeps. The Avid CSG3 is also the same pattern. They work great too. I also like how the XTRs work to. 960 and 970, just a bit heavy. Aligator Windcutters work fine with XTR calipers and metallic pads. Heck, any metallic or semi-metallic pad on an Aligator Windcutter works great to me.

MTBR Member
    My favorite is the 6-bolt shimano rt76. Before them, I tried some Avid, Formula and Hope rotors (none of them were 2-piece though), and each of them sucked in its own way. Shimanos are exactly right in every regard, except the weight and the stupid washers to fix the bolts (?). I'm okay with the weight, and some loctite secures the bolts.
    So you tried Avid, Formula, and Hope rotors on your Shimano brakes? And they sucked? Shocker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    So you tried Avid, Formula, and Hope rotors on your Shimano brakes? And they sucked? Shocker.
    Avid G2 and Roundagon sucked on BB7. Formula single-piece lightweight rotors sucked on Oro K24. Hope single-piece were almost ok, but still sucked a bit on Oro K24 and Hope Tech M4.
    Current setup: RT76 + Hope Tech M4. Really sweet combo.

MTBR Member
    Avid G2 and Roundagon sucked on BB7. Formula single-piece lightweight rotors sucked on Oro K24. Hope single-piece were almost ok, but still sucked a bit on Oro K24 and Hope Tech M4.
    Current setup: RT76 + Hope Tech M4. Really sweet combo.
    Sucked how? Excess noise, loss of braking power, poor setup?

I generally just run the same brand rotor with whatever brake I am running - I did run some Hope floaters on my Elixir CR's at one point and those actually helped with the brake noise.

Good to hear that the RT76 work well with the Tech M4's. How were those an improvement over the Hope fixed rotors? I have Tech M4's set up with one fixed and one floater, but really haven't had any issues with either set up.

mtbr member
    The Avids were noisy (and the Roundagons seemed to eat pads too fast in wet abrasive mud), the Formulas showed uneven wear of the braking surface and were too flexible to aid for pads auto adjustment (I had to reset pistons once in a while), the Hopes were almost ok, but still not rigid enough, and in comparison to the RT76s provided less stopping power.

But if you don't have any issues with your current setup and are satisfied with braking power and modulation, then you don't need to change anything, unless you like to try something new. I just got the RT76s in hope to solve my issues with uneven pistons extraction, as those rotors were known for being quite stiff laterally. This worked, and in addition to that I got lower noise (with the Goodridge sintered pads, even in wet) and better grip, still with loads of modulation.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I settled on the RT 86's....

I can deal w/ an extra 40g i suppose. Just typing that makes me feel retarded. Time to go ride.