mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Facing rotor [bolt on] mounts on hub

Wobbly rotors that seem to be due to irregular mounting points on hub - anyone heard of /performed facing-machining on the actual hub body?

AKA Dr.Nob
    I haven't heard of anybody doing it but can't see any problem with someone facing a hub on a lathe (assuming the person doing the job can use a lathe). Shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

...idios...
    It's far more likely that the wobble is in the steel of the disc. What hub? What disc? Have you tried just trueing the disc?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sean newell
    Wobbly rotors that seem to be due to irregular mounting points on hub - anyone heard of /performed facing-machining on the actual hub body?
    this should not be necessary

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    SteveUK - not my bike - can't tell you details sorry but it doesn't seem to be bent rotor as such. More of a theoretical Q - I'd heard this suggested as a fix for mystery wobbles but had never heard of a specific tool for it [other than lathe] I was wondering if there were a specific tool , like a brake tab facing tool , but it would seem not.

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by sean newell
    SteveUK - not my bike - can't tell you details sorry but it doesn't seem to be bent rotor as such. More of a theoretical Q - I'd heard this suggested as a fix for mystery wobbles but had never heard of a specific tool for it [other than lathe] I was wondering if there were a specific tool , like a brake tab facing tool , but it would seem not.
    As far as I'm aware (with a reasonable amount of shop experience) there's no such tool for facing a hub's disc mounts. It's not even an issue I've ever (knowingly) encountered. Any new hub with a totally misaligned mounting face would be considered unsuitable for its purpose and could be returned for a replacement; but I would still go with the probability that the wobble on the disc is caused by small bends in the disc itself. These can easily and quickly be remedied using one of these.

Of course, an out of warranty hub with a misaligned mounting surface could, I suppose, be re-machined to be absolutely perdpendicular; but further problems may arise from the bolt heads no longer being parallel to the disc (because the threads are no longer perpendicular to the disc).

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

AZ
    banned
    It seems more likely to be the disk , hub bearings or axle related .