Time is not a road.

Facing the frame and fork

Has anyone had their frame and/or fork "faced" to get proper fit for the disc calipers? I've considered finding a LBS who will do it, but I wondered if it made a diff. and what the cost was.

One bike store told me it wasn't worth if them to buy the $200 tool to be able to do it because it wasn't that effective. But, I've seen several references to it in diff. mags.

Chad

Are you talking to me?

It is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Has anyone had their frame and/or fork "faced" to get proper fit for the disc calipers? I've considered finding a LBS who will do it, but I wondered if it made a diff. and what the cost was.

One bike store told me it wasn't worth if them to buy the $200 tool to be able to do it because it wasn't that effective. But, I've seen several references to it in diff. mags.

Chad
    Sounds lika a cheap shop to me. Go for it. If you remove the brakes, and take in the frame and fork ready for business, the cost will be around $20.

The $200 for the Gnann-O-Mat is a worthy investment for a good shop, provided they are working on disc brakes often, and are into attention to detail.
    gfy

Do It Yourself
    It's probably not worth it if they are working on Huffy's all day. However, if you are going to be working top end bikes with Magura, Hope or Hayes_hydraulic disc brakes, the tool is extremely helpful. This tool or similar Hope tool helps eliminate caliper alignment issues and stop squeals before they start. Highly recommended.

That same shop probably thinks using torque wrench isn't worth it either.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    It's probably not worth it if they are working on Huffy's all day. However, if you are going to be working top end bikes with Magura, Hope or Hayes_hydraulic disc brakes, the tool is extremely helpful. This tool or similar Hope tool helps eliminate caliper alignment issues and stop squeals before they start. Highly recommended.

That same shop probably thinks using torque wrench isn't worth it either.
    What's a torque wrench? j/k...