mtbr member

F@#$@#$ Elixir CR bleed disaster

Help.

I'm not looking for instructions per se, just some pointers and/or sage advice from veterans of bleeding elixirs. Picked up a set of new CR's and had to shorten the lines. That step taken care of, I went to bleed the brakes following the instructions in my bleed kit. Bled them, brakes too soft, felt like there's still air in there. Redid the bleed 3 more times, cuss a lot, threatened to replace them with mechanicals, and walked away for the night.

I've since found a vid. on pinkbike on bleeding the elixir's with a couple of different, and I'm wondering significant?, steps:

One--on the new video, when bleeding the caliper, he doesn't close off the syringe to the lever.

Two--when bleeding the lever body, he flicks the lever a little to free bubbles, but doesn't squeeze the stupid thing over and over like the bleed kit instructions advise.

Big difference in these steps? I'm also going to pick up some new dot 5.1 since I've pretty much contaminated my supply.

I've bled juicy's pretty easily in the past but these damn elixir's are stumping me as to what I'm missing.

Please, Please, mtb internet gurus, share the secret knowledge. Anyone out there had an Ah-ha! moment that you can pass on?
    "Serpentine Shelly. Serpentine!"

mtbr member
    I've never had a problem just following the printed directions. Is the DOT 5.1 new or was it previously opened or half-empty? Old stuff can absorb air if exposed.

I usually spend a good amount of time purging bubbles from the syringe before attaching to the caliper. Maybe do it 10 or 15 times (yes, I'm anal about this).

I can't think of anything else.

official eMpTyBRain
    Ah, the dreaded Avid curse...sell them (or throw them away) and get Shimano or magura brakes.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    I've had to bleed my Elixir CRs quite a few times this year as well. After reading the forums here to try to to gauge what the hell is wrong with these brakes, since I suck every bubble out of the system possible, I believe it's that my DOT 5.1 Motul fluid is old (more than one year) and therefore contaminated.

I do have the new Avid Professional Bleed Kit so looks like I'll have something to do this Sunday (brand new Avid DOT 5.1 fluid included of course)!

Rub it............
    Which bleed kit are you using? 2009 and earlier or the 2010 and newer? The newer kit has better syringes and bleed blocks.

Also, go to SRAM's website and follow their bleed procedure. They have a video posted on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoaPU...=youtube_gdata

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Why on earth do companies make bleeding so difficult. Take Hope e.g., they only need a 10ct hose, something to capture the old fluid and of course some fresh DOT. No syringes and no pain, just pump the fluid through with the lever; as easy as it should be. Shimano is similar I think (just don't use DOT in those ).

mtbr member
    Do not follow the video's follow the printed directions, a friend and I figured that out after much headache.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dblvanos
    Do not follow the video's follow the printed directions, a friend and I figured that out after much headache.
    Totally agree. Both the old and new videos, they make it seem like a breeze and the brakes are now solid. No way they are bubble free after those carefree bleeds. Follow the printed instructions and get ALL the bubbles out.

mtbr member
    Update: Here's where I'm at now. Bled them two times last night with brand new fluid, and some pointers from various threads on here. First bleed I admittedly didn't do a good job on and was primarily interested in pushing out the old fluid. Second bleed, I took my time and really worked to get out the air. Result: I now appear to have somewhat functional brakes. I think I have too much travel in the levers before the pads begin to engage.

Now, the brakes are new so the pads and rotors aren't bedded in yet. I do have the contact point adjustment all the way out. I've never ridden these things before, but compared to my older juicy's and bb7's, I am not comfortable with how far I have to pull the levers before I feel them engage. I am obviously still working on this. And if I had the money for different brakes, I'd already be headed that way. I don't, so unless I pull my old brakes off my other bike, I'm going to have to find a way to make these work for me if I want to ride my new bike sometime this spring.

Rub it............
    Get those brakes bedding in. Then use the contact point adjustment to help you get the feel you want.

not really an mtbr member
    If you used bleed blocks it's possible that your pads are sitting as far out as possible; if you have plenty of rotor clearance you can take the wheel out and squeeze the levers a couple times and it should help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ^^^ as theextremist04 said, if you used the bleed blocks, the bads will be fully out so there will be longer travel on the lever till the pads bite and you could be interpretating that as poor quality.

Do this, set them up and then be aware that the fluid volume in teh reservoir will reduce (only a little) but enough that you may not get the full perforamnce you want / need / desire

Also, make sure the reservoir is horizontal (I have Juicy 5) or the bleed screw is uppermostso any air rises to the top.

I have Juicy 5, Mrs. Hay Ewe as elixer, my step son Avic Carbons and some spares. We dont have any problems with them, and they have all been Overhauled (except for the carbons - too new) and new fluid all round. Just be slow and methodical and follow the manufactures instructions.

Hay Ewe

mtbr member

Well, I didn't die.

Took the bike out for a little shakedown in the rain last night, up and down the hills on my street. Had no problems, but I didn't push it, considering the conditions and the fact that I didn't want to lay down a new bike before it even sees the trail. I may try moving the pads in a little, but no more bleeding yet. Looks like brand new fluid and patience was probably the answer.