Keep on Rockin...

Experience with new design Avids...

SRAM has redesigned their Avid brakes.

While posts suggest Shimanos are the preferred brake by most riders, I still love the feel of a well bled Elixir. While the XTs I have are very good, I still like the feel of my cheap Elixir 3s better.

Seems to me that much of the problem with riders not liking the Avids is due to a poor bleed.

Since there is a new design maybe they will get more love. I hear it makes for a better bleed.

Anyone try the new design? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just got my brakes back from SRAM Australia, full lever internals replaced with the new stuff, and bled, as I was pulling them to the bar.

Still feel a bit mushier than my Tektro Draco entry level brakes on my crappy hard tail. . . Seem to stop me now though, which is an improvement (haven't been down the trails yet though, only basing that off my driveway testing)

My brothers brand new Elixir 3's on his 2013 Trance 29er are absolute crap. Squeal like an army of pigs chasing you down the trail, had to be bled twice at the front, going to get him to send his brakes off to the SRAM boys as well if mine do hold up.