Nox Trailbuilder

Euro levers on wrong side, XT brakes

Looking at a set of XT M785 brakes, but they come in front/right and rear/left.
    Can the lines be easily swapped from side to side, and what parts (if any) are needed to do so?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    They can be swapped, sometimes without needing to be bled. At most you would need the Shimano bleed kit and a little bit of mineral oil. It's pretty darn easy.

Magically Delicious
    Interesting note that I swapped from the standard Left/front to Right/front. Having spent most of my adult life riding and racing motorcycles (Right/front brake), I had problems on my mountain bike acclimating to opposite front brake lever locations. After several face plants from a handful of conventional front brake applications, I elected to swap the front brake from Left/front to Right/front. All has been well since.

My most recent swap with Avid Elixir 5's was done seamlessly without having to do any bleeding.

mtbr member
    As 202cycle said, they can easily be swapped, and there is a method for doing it which will eliminate the need for bleeding afterwards too. I think there was even a thread on here somewhere detailing the process.

I set my last brakes up "euro" or "moto" style, and am contemplating doing the same on my new M785s. Haven't decided yet, but most likely will.

Nox Trailbuilder
    Thanks guys. I'm looking to buy a set but was concerned about hassles swapping them. I'll go ahead and order them.

mtbr member
    Why don't you just order the configuration you want from the get-go?

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    I did this with my XTR trails. Disconnected the lines at lever (master cylinder) and swapped them. No bleed necessary. I didn't "dilly dally" but I didn't stress out and do it crazy fast. Again, I ride motorcycles and couldn't have them any other way.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    Swapped the lines at the lever (master cylinder) and no bleed was necessary. I did it quick but not stressed-out fast. I've run my brakes moto-style on my road and MTB bikes for 30 years.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset

"El Whatever"
    Where are those brakes when you want them?

I run them also front-right (left handed here) and I never seem to find them available when I want to order a set.

However, I have never had issues swapping lines. Maguras for me, but same thing. Just swap the lines over and no bleed necessary.
    Check my Site

One Gear
    You need to remove the pads and pump the pistons out a little before you swap the lines. When you push the pistons back in after the swap, it pushes the oil up into the master cylinder. Shimano has this information on their website if you need the directions.

Don't just "do it quickly" and hope for the best.

Nox Trailbuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by skyak View Post
    Why don't you just order the configuration you want from the get-go?
    Out of stock or otherwise not available.....
    Bought a set from CRC, couldn't beat their deal.

MTB B'dos
    Dead simple to do, 40AET gave some good advice on how to do it, although I've never bothered to do it that way and have managed to get through fine, but I do make sure to pull the lever a bit so I can see brake fluid as I insert the hose. Only thing you'll need is an 8mm spanner and if by chance you need to bleed, Shimano is dead simple. I just got these and they're fantstic brakes, nice to also have more power and silent power

Quote Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
    Looking at a set of XT M785 brakes, but they come in front/right and rear/left.
    Can the lines be easily swapped from side to side, and what parts (if any) are needed to do so?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by .40AET View Post
    You need to remove the pads and pump the pistons out a little before you swap the lines. When you push the pistons back in after the swap, it pushes the oil up into the master cylinder. Shimano has this information on their website if you need the directions.

Don't just "do it quickly" and hope for the best.
    Chain Reaction or Wiggle, they offer the "moto" style options for their brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Where are those brakes when you want them?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Chain Reaction or Wiggle, they offer the "moto" style options for their brakes.
    Yup, I checked for CRC and Wiggle when I was buying. Thanks for the tip anyways.
    Check my Site