Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

End of the road with my Elixir 7, ordered some Shimano XT

Finally had it, shop has done everything they can to make these brakes better. They just dont compare to my old Shimano SLX brakes. So shop is going to get SRAM to send me a new set of brakes and I am going to put some XT's on my bike.

The brakes are really the only thing that makes the bike not 100%, sad that on a $3300 bike Specialized couldnt do more to help me out. I am really surprised that the manufactures put all of the effort on the brake manufacture instead of stepping up to help the bike owner out more in the end.

Oh well, hopefully I will be up and running this weekend on the new setup. Then I will put the Elixir 7's up for sale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I did that exact same thing in January. The Elixir 7's were the only component on my Stumpjumper that failed to work perfectly. I had each brake completely fail on me on major rides (4000 foot descents) last summer. The shop couldn't figure out what caused it, but they were able to get them working again by bleeding and adding fluid. Finally, after the third failure on a casual city ride, I decided it wasn't worth risking another ruined ride with another total brake failure in 2013.

I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews, and then watched for anybody offering discount prices on XT levers, calipers, and rotors. I ordered them after Xmas, and installed them a few weeks ago. So far, I have only ridden one long street ride with them, but I'm taking the bike to the Vegas area this weekend, and will test out the new brakes at Bootleg Canyon.

I still have the Elixir 7's in a big Ziploc bag. I should look into exchanging them, but I really only want something that works. Good luck.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    both take the good way shimano brakes are awesome and very reliable and the new ones looks very awesome and works great

mtbr member
    Good Choice, my XT trail M 785s are great. My carve came with the M 466 and while they worked ok they were not a good choice for me. No issues on the XTs with Ice Tech rotors.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Just installed the m785's with the ice tech rotors on my tallboy lt. Took it for the first ride with them yesterday. Awesome brakes is all I can say. The brakes are much more responsive than my elixers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post

The brakes are really the only thing that makes the bike not 100%, sad that on a $3300 bike Specialized couldnt do more to help me out. I am really surprised that the manufactures put all of the effort on the brake manufacture instead of stepping up to help the bike owner out more in the end.
    as bike consumers begin to realize what utter crap sram is they gravitate away from bikes with those brakes, so maybe it works out eventually

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by authalic View Post
    I did that exact same thing in January. The Elixir 7's were the only component on my Stumpjumper that failed to work perfectly. I had each brake completely fail on me on major rides (4000 foot descents) last summer. The shop couldn't figure out what caused it, but they were able to get them working again by bleeding and adding fluid. Finally, after the third failure on a casual city ride, I decided it wasn't worth risking another ruined ride with another total brake failure in 2013.

I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews, and then watched for anybody offering discount prices on XT levers, calipers, and rotors. I ordered them after Xmas, and installed them a few weeks ago. So far, I have only ridden one long street ride with them, but I'm taking the bike to the Vegas area this weekend, and will test out the new brakes at Bootleg Canyon.

I still have the Elixir 7's in a big Ziploc bag. I should look into exchanging them, but I really only want something that works. Good luck.
    I sold my used elixir 5s for $100 and bought XTs for about $200.

mtbr member
    I'm happy with my decision to grab the XTs...best brakes I've ever used. It's been a lot of fun getting used to one finger braking, but man they are grabby at first! I had a mushy feeling with the rear that needed to be bled after a few months, but that was a quick $25 fix at the LBS.

Another thing I ran into was a sticky rear piston, which can happen in nasty conditions. The piston on one side wouldn't retract, so rubbed a bit on the rotor. This was fixed by:

1. Remove the rear wheel
    2. Remove the brake pads
    3. Depress the lever (but DON'T let the piston come all the way out!!!)
    4. Clean the dirt and grime off the pistons with rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip
    5. Lubricate the pistons with mineral oil
    6. Reassemble

I did this last year, and will likely continue this maintenance once a year to avoid any further problems. It really is a small amount of maintenance for the performance you get.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just ordered a set of XT's yesterday to replace my X0's. I never liked the X0's. I hope the XT's live up to their rep.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    did any of you folks that replaced your avid brakes with XTs or SLXs keep the stock HS1 avid rotors ? does the 200mm avid rotor work with the shimano caliper ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    this would be for a stumpjumper fsr btw )

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I don't know about the 200mm rotors but I would think yes. I had 180s on the front and 160s on the back. The xt's fit on my avid rotors just fine. The only reason I switched them was because I wanted the ice tech rotors.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just bought a Stumpy with the Elixer 5R. I've only have a hand full of rides but I think they work well. Comparable to the SLX's on my last bike. What trouble did you guys have? Noise, power, failure? What did the LBS do to try and fix them? Are they unsafe?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm replacing my X0's because they were loud, didn't have the greatest feel and were very difficult to bleed. Never from day one was I ever happy with them. I had two bikes shops work on them and but 2000 miles on them. Had enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Brand0n1 View Post
    I just bought a Stumpy with the Elixer 5R
    with some luck they will keep working fine. My stumpy came with xx and unfortunately only lasted a month before the pistons on the rear wouldn't retract regardless of cleaning and bleeding, front lasted for a few months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Coming from 2 bikes that had Shimano disc brakes on them, Avid is light years behind Shimano in the brake department. The bike manufactures would do good to dump them and only use Shimano, Magura or Hope brakes.

Hopefully my new brakes come in today at the shop, then just wait on the mechanic to get them installed as he is going to cut the lines down for me and re-bleed them. Weather should be nice this Sunday for me to break in the new ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiving View Post
    did any of you folks that replaced your avid brakes with XTs or SLXs keep the stock HS1 avid rotors ? does the 200mm avid rotor work with the shimano caliper ?
    I did, XT+HS1 is a great combo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Got word, XT brakes are in and should be on by this weekend, Avid is sending me some Elixir 9's (upgrade) as replacements that I will be selling as soon as they get in my hands.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re: End of the road with my Elixir 7, ordered some Shimano XT

Your going to love the xt brakes. I just finished trimming the rear line as it was way to long.
    This my rear set up and love the feel of the lever and was the easiest brakes I've ever bleed.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Got the bike back, luckily the mechanic had the post mount adapter for the rear as I assumed the spacers from the Avid setup would work. Got the bike back and bedded in the new pads and then went out on a nice 12 mile ride. The new brakes are worlds ahead of the Avids.

Topper was that SRAM went ahead and sent me some Elixir 9's as replacements, they will be going up for sale to recoup some of the cost for the XT upgrade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    do i need to order post mount adapters also or is it bike dependant ? to swap to shimanos i have a stumpjumper fsr

tks )

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiving View Post
    do i need to order post mount adapters also or is it bike dependant ? to swap to shimanos i have a stumpjumper fsr tks )
    I ordered new adapters when I ordered the brakes and rotors. I got the 203mm rotor on front and 180mm on the rear. The Avid rotors were 200mm and 180mm. It's probably not necessary to get the Shimano 180mm if you have an Avid 180mm adapter, but I figured there is enough difference between 200 and 203 to justify the $10.

Strangely, when one of the brakes arrived, it came with a 180mm adapter. You might want to check on that when you order.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City

Ow!
    Sounds like this is about more than noise problems. All of you have gottem me more interested in those XT brakes more. I have a set of Elixir CRs on one bike and a set of Elixir 5s on another. Neither bike gets a lot of use, but I have had those CRs for years now. Only concern is that they seem to be on the edge of squeal, but haven't completely gone there yet. Good stopping power but just OK modulation. If they ever start giving me consistent problems, I likely will try the XTs.

For those that have had problems with loss of power (not noise), but bleeding seems to fix it temporarily, do you use them for extended downhill use (even DH)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Brand0n1 View Post
    What trouble did you guys have? Noise, power, failure? What did the LBS do to try and fix them? Are they unsafe?
    I had all three of those problems. Mostly, they were unpredictable. Much of the time, they would work fine. Then, I'd go on a ride and they would feel like the pads were glazed over. They would grab the rotors, but there wasn't much friction. On some steeper technical sections, the brakes weren't strong enough to keep the wheels from rolling under full pressure on the levers. Sometimes, they would develop a squeal or honk which would come and go.

I'm a heavier rider, and on some longer descents, the brakes would overheat. They would gradually build up pressure in the levers. I had to adjust the reach a few times on the way down to keep the pads from rubbing, and even then, I got to the bottom sometimes and I was unable to spin the front wheel because there was no play left in the levers. Of course, 10 minutes later, when the brakes had cooled, those adjustments I made on the descent made the levers too loose, so I'd have to adjust them again, or I wouldn't have enough braking power.

The worst problem was the total failures that I had. It happened to both the front and rear brakes. They completely stopped working. I could pull the lever back to the grip and the pads would never touch the rotor. Adjusting the reach did nothing. The pads were worn down, but not beyond the tolerances. The brake expert at my LBS had never seen anything like it. It was like the pistons wouldn't extend beyond a point, and when the pads wore down to that point, the brakes were gone. I could pull the lever back and spin the wheel with zero friction on the rotor.

The LBS was able to fix it by bleeding the brakes and adding fluid, but we had to drain that fluid later when we replaced the pads. It wasn't a permanent fix.

Are they unsafe? Yes, if they completely fail like mine did. In the case of that first failure, I was at the top of a 3000 foot descent with no front brake. I swapped out the pads from the rear brake to the front, and was able to restore enough functionality to get me down without walking it. When the rear brake failed a few weeks later, I was on more friendly terrain and was able to get home on just the front brake.

The shop was never able to figure out what was causing the problem. They bled each brake twice. We replaced the pads twice. The brakes would work for a few weeks, but I never really felt confident with them. Back in December, I started out on a casual street ride and the rear brake failed again. That's when I decided to ditch the entire setup. I did some research and saw that the XT reviews were almost 100% positive. I have put about 50 miles on the XT setup so far. They're much more responsive and effective than the Elixir 7s. The difference is huge. But, I won't be able to do a full evaluation of the XT brakes until summer.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the info.

I liked the SLX 666 I had on my Camber. They were easy to bleed myself and work with.
    I did get some squeal once but I lightly sanded and alcohol'd the rotor and all was well.

Bums me out I have this new great bike and now i'm paranoid about the brakes or will have to make an investment to replace.

I knew the brakes had a sketchy rep before I bought them but i'm going to let the lbs try to make things work before I bail on them...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast