mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Elixr CR's with Shimano rotors/hubs

I am in the process of trying to figure out parts for a bike that I am going to build. I am looking at an Intense Tracer with a 150mm Fox Talas with the new 15mm through axel. I am going to get an XT build kit for it and then was planning on switching out the XT brakes for Avid Elixr CR's (185's or 203's in the front and 165's in the back).

I am curious to know if anyone has used XT rotors with Avid Elixr calipers? Are they noisy? Is the modulation ok? Do they run hotter?

I am trying to figure out what to do about this build kit because I would perfer to get the whole kit and use the XT wheels rather than having to build some wheels to match the brake rotors.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this setup?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The rotor dimensions are all international standards. Avid does use a 185mm rotor but 180 rotors work perfectly with Avid calipers set up for 185mm. Lots of guys hyere are using Alligator 180mm rotors wiith Avid brakes.

There will be no diffrence in sound, modulation, heat no matter the rotor you run.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    this is incorrect, the rotors have braking surfaces of different height and thickness. Although most are standard thickness now, older magura use a thicker rotor, in addition, shimano brakes typically have a braking track ~2mm thinner than standard. As such, using shimano rotors with avid / hayes etc, can result in braking on the tines of rotor instead of on the braking surface itself. You may just have to mount it up and see.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    also the exlirs should come with rotors....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formulaone33
    The rotor dimensions are all international standards. Avid does use a 185mm rotor but 180 rotors work perfectly with Avid calipers set up for 185mm. Lots of guys hyere are using Alligator 180mm rotors wiith Avid brakes.

There will be no diffrence in sound, modulation, heat no matter the rotor you run.
    if you run the Avids with the Shimano 180 rotors just use the shimano 180 adapter and not the Avid 185 rotor
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfromthelak
    also the exlirs should come with rotors....
    The elixr's do come with rotors but the mounting on the shimano hubs is different from the standard '6 bolt' that most other companies do.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    if you run the Avids with the Shimano 180 rotors just use the shimano 180 adapter and not the Avid 185 rotor
    Which adapter are you talking about? The mount for mounting the caliper to the fork or is there some other type of adapter?
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy
    this is incorrect, the rotors have braking surfaces of different height and thickness. Although most are standard thickness now, older magura use a thicker rotor, in addition, shimano brakes typically have a braking track ~2mm thinner than standard. As such, using shimano rotors with avid / hayes etc, can result in braking on the tines of rotor instead of on the braking surface itself. You may just have to mount it up and see.
    Thanks for the help. I am pretty sure that my current pair of Elixr's are a bit narrower and longer than on my Juicy 7's. I can take a look this may help keep them off the rotor tines.

mtbr member
    if you are going to run 185 front shimano rotor than I suggest getting a Shimano IS---->180 adapter and not using teh Avid IS--->185 adapter, it will position the caliper 2.5mm higher and when you start wearing out pads the top of the pads won't wear and will eventually make contact and either cause the remaining lower half of the pads to wear at an angle or you won't have a good braking power.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I saw at Sea Otter that Avid will be making center lock rotors does anyone know when these will be available in my local shops?

Cumbria, England.
    Hi, Do you not know about centre-lock adaptors. These allow you to mount 6-bolt rotors on centre-lock hubs. It looks like a washer with 6 bits sticking up that fit in the bolt holes on the rotor, then the lock-nut tightens onto this. Shimano, DT Swiss and Formula all make them. The Shimano one's are the cheapest I think, the other two being a bit more pimpy though! I know the Shimano adaptor is available for 15mm hubs, not sure about the others.

Brenrub - I'm running these brakes on my Tracer and unless you're a real heavy guy, don't get a 203 front rotor. I got 160 rotors with mine and I bought a 185 rotor for the front as well. I still haven't needed to change to the 185 rotor yet!

mtbr member

You could just get the XT M756 6 bolt disc hubs...

and just use the rotors that come with the Elixir's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by D45yth
    ...I'm running these brakes on my Tracer and unless you're a real heavy guy, don't get a 203 front rotor. I got 160 rotors with mine and I bought a 185 rotor for the front as well. I still haven't needed to change to the 185 rotor yet!
    Thanks for the heads up. I am aware of the adapters but thought that having a simple center lock rotor would make things simpler with fewer locations where the rotors could loosen or break.

As for rotor size I was thinking I would do a 185 front and 160 rear Elixr CR's on a size medium or large Tracer. I am close to 200 lbs with all my gear on.

I am hoping to purchase the Tracer soon and would probably hold off for a little bit if I found out that the center lock rotors would be available soon. I am also looking at the 2010 Fox Talas 32 150mm so that may also put off the new bike for a bit longer.