mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Elixir XO Chirping

Got a new bike built up with Elixir XOs front and rear. On the 3rd ride, the rear started to and continues to chirp upon pad to disc contact. It's a high pitch constant tone, unlike any braking noise I've experienced with a previous pair of Juicy 7s. Needless to say it's very annoying, especially when going down an extended downhill. The front is just fine - no chirping yet.

I've done a small amount of troubleshooting. I loosened up the caliper and re-centered it. That didn't do anything. Next step is to clean the disc with alcohol and scuff the pads up some. I'm guessing that may work for a short time, but believe the chirp will come back.

Does anyone know what type of pads these brakes are sent with when new - organic or metallic? If metallic, I may switch over to organic, as I've heard they can be quieter.

Another option is to just quit with troubleshooting, use the no questions asked return policy from the retailer I bought them from, and pick up a pair of XTR trails.

All comments apprciated!

I'm Slow
    I had the CR mags, basically X0s. I would say buy organic pads and see if that works, if it doesn't then go Shimano XT or XTR.

I've had BB7, Juicy 7, elixir 5, CR, and CR Mag. But my 2012 XT's (m785) are just working so well and quiet, and I'm using metallic pads. The only complaint I have is the "loosen bolt then squeeze lever to align the caliper" method doesn't work very well, so you need to do it by eye. But let me say I have done all the methods of aligning my avids with the cps washer, never got it quiet. I align the Shimanos by eye and never had a squeak. Also 2012 XTR and XT from what I can tell have the same performance, just depends if weight is that important to you.
    Last edited by paulrb02; 02-06-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    My XO's came from the factory with organics. I had some of the same chirping issues before I used other rotors. A XX rotor silenced the noise... I think the aluminum carrier may have helped...

I now need to replace my original pads only after 8 months so I'm looking for some good metallics hoping they'll last a bit longer.

If I were you I'd just get the XTR and be done with the whole thing. Those brakes are amazing and I've had better luck with the durability of their pads (2 years plus on one bike!).
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If silence is what your after ??? Do yourself a favor, and get a set of the new Shimano XT's or XTR's with the Ice-Tech rotors... You'll be amazed !!!

LightJunction.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mdemm View Post
    If silence is what your after ??? Do yourself a favor, and get a set of the new Shimano XT's or XTR's with the Ice-Tech rotors... You'll be amazed !!!
    Ice-Tech rotors FTW!

Seriously, though. I agree with sanding your pads, then switching to organic.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    People still buy Avid brakes????

Please read the epic threads about the noisy Juicy/Elixir/Code brakes...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

I'm Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Please read the epic threads about the noisy Juicy/Elixir/Code brakes...
    I'm not sure it really helps. Its just loads of pages with people saying they did this one thing that magically solved the problem, but they all did something different. and a few people just saying their avid brakes make less noise than a church mouse.

And I've read and tried all the solutions in the mega, still no help. and I just wasted alot of time and money trying all the solutions.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Changing to Organics took care of the noise in my case.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman