Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Flying Goat

Elixir R vs Elixis CR

Can someone explain to me what the difference between the two is? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    CR- Contact and Reach Adjustment, I believe.

mtbr member
    cr has the pad contact adjustment, they both have the lever reach adjustment.

Flying Goat
    any other difference besides that??? like master or caliper differences?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    adjustable banjo on the calipers. carbon lever. no more strokers poh? the elixirs are rad. i have them on the v10
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    CR's are shiny black with anodized red contact adjustment barrel and banjo fiitting.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    adjustable banjo on the calipers. carbon lever. no more strokers poh? the elixirs are rad. i have them on the v10
    i love my strokers but thought i'd try something new... how do you like your elixirs compared to Strokers or Juicy7??

mbtr member
    stainless bolts, iirc

mtbr member
    On one of the new Specialized Stumpjumper 2009's the Elixir R's SL are mounted in shiny black with carbon lever. Looks beter than the retail version in silver, and better than the CR's - personally I would go for the Elixir R's in black, as the contact adjustment barrel spoils the looks of these brakes.

himom!
    Apr 2006
    I've got the retail R's. The only thing I'd want from the CR is the adjustable banjo.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    Elixirs have a more gradual engagement feel. I read in Dirt Rag mag that this is by design, due to the "taper" barrel cylinder. J7's feel snappy, either on or off, no spongy feel. Not noticing any more or less power thus far. Much easier to maintenance with the top pad insertion, nice.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

LDH
    mtbr member
    go for juicy ultimates in white

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LDH
    go for juicy ultimates in white
    Juicy's ... the worst brakes ever ...

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Worst brake?

Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow
    Juicy's ... the worst brakes ever ...
    So...what's better in your opinion?

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HTail
    So...what's better in your opinion?
    well if they were the worst brakes ever, then logically it follows everything is better lol. Seriously tho, I have heard some good things about the CR, and am considering them for my next build.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    I've had Juicy Seven's which suffered from fading on the slightest descend. Best brakes I've ever had were the Formula Oro Puro's 160/160, ridden many marathons with them, spent a week in the mountains in Austria, no fading, no problems at all. Truly awesome brakes!

But I have to admit the Elixir's are quite appealing and have caught my eye.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

So far Elixirs are good

so far I'm happy with them. The power has increased dramatically over the last ride or two. It takes a good 4-5 rides to break the pads/rotors in.

Still getting rub on the front, can't seem to get descent pad to rotor gap. Rear's work great. Much of this is alignment. As anyone that has used Avid and their cps system, it takes some fiddling to get 'em aligned.

The reason I asked the prev post what is a "good" brake in his opinon, is that I haven't tried other brands of discs. The new Hayes look intriguing.

Meh.
    I've had Juicy Seven's which suffered from fading on the slightest descend. Best brakes I've ever had were the Formula Oro Puro's 160/160, ridden many marathons with them, spent a week in the mountains in Austria, no fading, no problems at all. Truly awesome brakes!

But I have to admit the Elixir's are quite appealing and have caught my eye.
    Sounds like the brakes weren't set up correctly. Either the fluid was old and nasty, you had air in the system, or you needed to try a different pad compound.

Still getting rub on the front, can't seem to get descent pad to rotor gap. Rear's work great. Much of this is alignment. As anyone that has used Avid and their cps system, it takes some fiddling to get 'em aligned.
    Have you made sure that the system is not overfilled?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Sounds like the brakes weren't set up correctly. Either the fluid was old and nasty, you had air in the system, or you needed to try a different pad compound.
    Brand new brakes? Don't think so. I'm a skilled mechanic, have all the right tools (torque wrench etc), assembled numerous bikes / brakes with no issues at all .. Just a poor design, read the reviews of the Juicy's on mtbr or plenty of other forum's, same conclusion over & over : crap ! Note : I had the polygon rotors. I contacted Avid, sent them some pictures and received back 2 sets of new brake pads, 2x 160 mm front disc and 1x a 180mm disc (sold the brakes right away). Service wise, excellent

But hey, perhaps the new ones will be better and I might give them a try although the Formula R1 is also very appealing and I still got a pair of brand new Magura Marta SL 2009's in box on my desk.

Meh.
    Brand new brakes? Don't think so. I'm a skilled mechanic, have all the right tools (torque wrench etc), assembled numerous bikes / brakes with no issues at all .. Just a poor design, read the reviews of the Juicy's on mtbr or plenty of other forum's, same conclusion over & over : crap ! Note : I had the polygon rotors. I contacted Avid, sent them some pictures and received back 2 sets of new brake pads, 2x 160 mm front disc and 1x a 180mm disc (sold the brakes right away). Service wise, excellent

But hey, perhaps the new ones will be better and I might give them a try although the Formula R1 is also very appealing and I still got a pair of brand new Magura Marta SL 2009's in box on my desk.
    Just because the brakes are new doesn't mean that the fluid was fresh. It could've sat on the shelf for a while. I don't see what a torque wrench has to do with a bad bleed.

There are plenty of DHers that run Juicies. Many with fade issues resolved them with a fresh bleed.

Most of the reviews complain about noise/vibration. Many of these problems do come from improper setup.

Formula designed the Juicy line...

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcgoy
    I've got the retail R's. The only thing I'd want from the CR is the adjustable banjo.
    I'm really on the fence between the R and CR. The only thing that's keeping me from dropping the extra coin on the CRs is the fugly (IMO) colorway. The red ano looks distracting, and while I know it shouldn't matter, it bugs me to no end.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    I'm really on the fence between the R and CR. The only thing that's keeping me from dropping the extra coin on the CRs is the fugly (IMO) colorway. The red ano looks distracting, and while I know it shouldn't matter, it bugs me to no end.
    Do you have any issues with stopping at stop signs?

(sorry MHM, I just couldn't resist with the whole "red" reference!)

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen
    Do you have any issues with stopping at stop signs?

(sorry MHM, I just couldn't resist with the whole "red" reference!)
    They're just another attempt by the man to keep me down!
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    They're just another attempt by the man to keep me down!
    [SIZE="7"]Don't give in to Da' Man, man![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Avid's site (SRAM) says that both the R and CR can be had with crabon levers. Does anyone know if this is true? I'd like carbon levers just for those cold night rides...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast