mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Elixir R Squeal and no modulation

These Elixir R's are my first hydro's. I installed them and promptly took off on a 3 day bike trip to The Womble in Arkansas (so they've had ample opportunity to set in). Unfortunately I've had a couple of issues. They modulate little or not at all. The slightest press of the lever stops the wheel dead in its track. When they start to bite they BITE, its very firm in the lever. On top of that they SQUEAL, both front and rear. The front seems to have a little drag and is worse in the squealing department, but they're both pretty bad. I haven't tried anything as of yet, except looking at the manual (which was no help). I was hoping to get some suggestions here to cut down on chasing my tail later.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oh the dreaded avid squeal.............there is a mega thread on this.

First, make sure every bolt is torqued to spec.

If that doesnt work, check the set up again. I know avids have the cps system, but it is known to go out of alignment. If you find this to be the case, use some tacx carbon assemlbly paste on the cps washer stack. It worked for me on my BB7s.

If you are running the round garden rotors, look for a set of g3s from avid.

Last, but not least, put another brand of rotor on there. Formula, Magura, Hayes will all work.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I have two sets of Elixir R's...a Nomad and SJ FSR. I don't think the previous generation of Avid issues really apply to these...different master cylinder and caliper design...even the pads are different. The Elixir does use the CPS mounting system, so that is a good suggestion to recheck the caliper mounting.

You mention that this is your first hydro brakeset, and that you installed it yourself. Are you sure you got everything right? From our experience at our shop installing and dealing with several sets of these brakes at this point, I'm decently impressed with how trouble-free they've been.

Have you retracted the pads to try and reduce drag? Do you know how to set up the CPS hardware to center the rotor in the caliper? These Elixirs are very powerful, but they still have decent modulation. What size rotors are you running? I had to step down a rotor size on both front and rear of both bikes to tame them a bit.

The Womble is close to Hot Springs, isn't it? Maybe it would be worth dropping into a local shop to let them do a quick check, as it could be something simple. Not dissin' your install or such, but if it's your first set of hydros that you installed, maybe letting a mechanic check them out might help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ISUPsyclones
    They modulate little or not at all. The slightest press of the lever stops the wheel dead in its track. When they start to bite they BITE, its very firm in the lever.
    1. How big a dude are ya? You may have too much power at your fingertips. Smaller guys can get by with running a 140mm rear / 160mm front especially on Womble terrain (versus the Keystone). The Elixir pads do have a larger footprint with more power than Juicy's and BB's. If you have instant stoppage, try going down a size on the rotors and give it time. Coming off V'brakes or Mech discs...you're probably not used to the increase in power that Hydraulics will give ya.

2. How many fingers are you using? A decent set of hydraulic disc brakes can be "1-fingered".

Quote Originally Posted by ISUPsyclones
    On top of that they SQUEAL, both front and rear. The front seems to have a little drag and is worse in the squealing department, but they're both pretty bad.
    I had a bit of noise in my rear rotor, so I switched to a Hayes rotor. Hayes rotors are less resonant than Avid G3 rotors. Now...all the noise is gone. Check your alignment too.