mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Elixir R problem.. Pls. help..

Hi guys! i need your help with my Avid Elixir R. Today i rode with my friends at first the rear brakes were running perfectly. But when we descending my rear brakes suddenly stiffened. the levers stiffened that there is no gap on it anymore when you press it. I thought its just that it over heated but i gave it a rest the problem is still there. What seems to be the problem with my rear levers? the front is working perfectly. I can still use the rear but its hard to press that i mean the lever has no gap when you want it to bite.

Has anybody encountered this problem with a hydraulic brake? specially with DOT fluid on it?

Please help me with my rear brake problem.. I only rode this brake for 6 times and i don't abuse it. i'm just a weekend warrior.

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by kikoy; 03-21-2009 at 08:40 AM.

ride hard take risks
    Does the rear wheel roll free??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes it rolls free but the levers are very stiff. When you squeeze it there is no gap from the biting point it just bites right away. I also noticed that the pads are very near the rotor that it seems there is no gap on them anymore but no rubbing issue. What seems to be the problem here sir? The front is working perfectly also noticed that the pads have more gap on them. Is this the case for the rear that the levers are stiff?

ride hard take risks
    Check that the pads are properly seated in the caliper, dont think this is your problem but it's worth checking the easy stuff first. Next I would rotate the master cylinder so the bleed plug is facing up then remove it but have a rag handy because you may have a fluid spurt. If fluid flows out give it a chance to slow then reinstall the plug and check lever free play. As long as the the bleed hole is up high and you dont pump the lever you wont get air into the system. If this helps then I would go the the feeler gauges to fine tune.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoy
    Is this the case for the rear that the levers are stiff?
    No.

My pads are close to the rotors too. But I don't have that problem. So far my R's are fine. Sorry I can't help you more. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Reset the pads. Put a flat head driver in there and spread the pads. Be sure that there are no kinks in the hose. And then do what Dragonfr says.
    Bikeless Rider

ride hard take risks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products

TNC
    noMAD man
    I didn't see any mention of you checking the lever reach adjustment. Does it still seem to respond to going in and out and actually changing your lever reach? I have two sets of ER's, and I realize that the reach adjuster doesn't affect pad contact, but I wonder if part of the reach adjuster could fail and produce that extreme change in your lever and pad contact relationship? Just speculating here, as I haven't had to tear into any ER's at this point.

From what you're saying, your brakes still work, and they don't drag. I don't know. It's sounding like an engagement issue to me. Hydraulic brakes usually fail by losing power and needing a bleed because of air in the system or just a loss of brake fluid...or they start dragging because of numerous issues like a sticky piston or even overfilling in the case of some designs. But since yours aren't dragging and are still working, it's just sounding like some weird engagement issue.

Damn...it's hard to diagnose someone's brakes over the internet...LOL!

mtbr member
    TNC.... your right about the reach adjust... it has no effect on the pad contact. So we can rule that one out. One thing I have thought of is that the piston is not returning all the way... possibly due to a faulty spring, something obstructing the return, or any number of other things. I too say that it is hard to diagnose over the internet.
    Bikeless Rider

TNC
    noMAD man
    wyrm, don't sticky pistons usually result in drag? I've never heard of a sticky piston scenario like this one, but obviously I haven't seen everything. This situation has the unusual mix of symptoms of the brakes still working, no drag, and no lever going to the bar. That's why it sounds like an odd engagement thing.

kikoy...keep us posted on this, as it's a more interesting problem than you usually see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Smile

Hi guys!

Thank you very much for your help with my brakes. I solved the problem today. i brought it to our LBS then we opened the reservoir to let the fluid drip a little just about two drops then close it. Pushed back the pistons on the caliper. After that everything went back to normal. Hopefully it wont happen again.. I still have to ride and try it this week. I'll let you know guys if it happens again. But hopefully not. MAybe there's little air on the hose.

mtbr member

?

Quote Originally Posted by babalaghey
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    On the subject of Elixir R's....my new front 185mm has started making that horrible noise after about 80 miles of use (you know the one that sounds like an old rim brake...).
    Other than sanding the pads (which I haven't tried yet) is there a way of getting rid of it? The brake works fine and has better feel than the ol' J7 but that noise is dreadful!

Any suggestions?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoy
    Hi guys!

Thank you very much for your help with my brakes. I solved the problem today. i brought it to our LBS then we opened the reservoir to let the fluid drip a little just about two drops then close it. Pushed back the pistons on the caliper. After that everything went back to normal. Hopefully it wont happen again.. I still have to ride and try it this week. I'll let you know guys if it happens again. But hopefully not. MAybe there's little air on the hose.
    Interesting. kikoy, if it were air in the system you'd get the spongy brake power with the lever going further to the handlebar. Yours is almost opposite. I'd be interested to know why the mastercylinder developed this excess brake fluid. I've had brake systems slightly overfilled before, and they usually cause piston/pad drag. I've fixed those by bleeding off a tiny bit of fluid. The lack of drag is somewhat odd in your case where excess fluid should have been causing excess pressure and therefore drag. Hey, I in no way claim to know everything about brakes by any means.

ride hard take risks
    I had some Mag's that did this once and for some bazaar reason the master was holding excess fluid but wasnt dragging at the caliper. Did the feeler gauge thing pulled the screw and released the fluid they worked great again.

Some times things work out and their is no logical reason.
    Formotion Products