SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008

Elixir R leaking hose @ lever!

My Elixir Rs that came on my 2010 Access 29er had hoses that were way too long, so I bought new olives, cut the hoses with sharp utility knife, resassembled and torqued to 45 inch pounds as per Avid...bled several times to get it right, they are PITA to bleed. But now they are getting mushy again after month or so...discovered that they are weeping brake fluid where hose goes into lever....wtf?

Should I tighten the hose nut more and re-bleed or what?
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Did you replace the hose barb as well as the olive?

Never trust a fart
    You didn't replace the hose barbs along with the olive.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    Did you replace the hose barb as well as the olive?
    Yes I did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Yes I did.
    That's an odd one then. It doesn't take much force to squish the olive enough to seal properly. Did you push the hose and olive into the lever until it reached a hard stop and then tightened the fitting? You can always try to back off the fitting and re-tourque it again. Other than that I would suggest another new olive and barb and doing the procedure again. It really isn't a good idea to overtourque those as you could split the lever or damage something else.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    That's an odd one then. It doesn't take much force to squish the olive enough to seal properly. Did you push the hose and olive into the lever until it reached a hard stop and then tightened the fitting? You can always try to back off the fitting and re-tourque it again. Other than that I would suggest another new olive and barb and doing the procedure again. It really isn't a good idea to overtourque those as you could split the lever or damage something else.
    I put new barbs in the hoses, tightened them until they bottomed, but not so tight as to twist in the hose thus stripping it out. Then pushed hose with barb and olive in to the stop and held it while I started torquing the hose nuts.

Wondered if it's ok to back off and re-torque the hose nuts. May try that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I reused the olives with success, but have bought new ones with the intention of replacing them.
    I am not sure of the benefit of replacing the barbs however.

I ended out torquing pretty high to get a good seal. Keep torquing but carefully.

Members who have read this thread: 0