mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Elixir r does not self adjust

My rear Avid Elixir R will not fully clamp down on the rotor.

If I spread the calipers fully open and pull the lever the calipers come in quite far and only retract a hair (so far so good). But I have worn pads and at this point they are barely making contact with the rotor. A second pull should bring the pads in closer Subsequent pulls only bring the calipers a little bit and retract to where it was after the first pull. I've looked at the service manual and can't tell what part is responsible for this self adjustment. I assume it's something in the lever.

This happened to me last time I spread the calipers and it took about few hours of riding and it fixed it self.

Please help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    After posting I continued digging and found this on another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    The o-ring seal on the caliper has a square cross section. The piston does not generally slide through the o-ring. Normally, when you pull the lever and the piston moves outward, the o-ring deforms so the cross section is a somewhat distorted parallelogram. When you release pressure, the parallelogram returns to its square state, pulling the piston back with it.

As wear occurs on the pads, the piston must travel a little further before it is stopped by the disc. The the o-ring distorts to a maximum amount, and the piston is pushed out a little further past the o-ring. When the pressure is released, the o-ring pulls the piston back, but the piston does not slide inward past the o-ring.

The whole system is dependent upon just right amount of friction and freeness. If one side is a little sticky, it will adversely affect the other side. If the o-rings get hard, or if there is stickiness where they touch the pistons, self-adjustment will be a little off, or they won't pull back properly.
    I'm thinking a caliper's O-ring is failing. Could one failing O-ring affect self adjustment for both pistons? Anything else I should consider?
    Last edited by ScabFace; 10-20-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Tool
    It's possible that for whatever reason, there is too little fluid in the system. That would prevent the pistons from extending past a certain point if there isn't enough fluid volume to push them further. If you have the means, a proper bleed could potentially alleviate this.

Too much fluid volume causing dragging is a much more common problem, but too little could cause these symptoms.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.