mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Elixir R adjusment question

I recently had some Avid Elixir R brakes installed. I had to take the front wheel off to get the bike home, but when it came time to put the front wheel back on, it appears as though the front disc won't fit in between the front caliper pads. I just read squeezing the brake while the wheel is off is a big no no (which I did unknowingly) How is that adjusted?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    push the pistons back in the bore with a clean putty knife, screwdriver, tire lever, whatever

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You will likely want to remove the pads first or they may get damaged when you push the pistons back in. You need to use some sort of a tool to push the pistons straight back into their bores. I often use an allen wrench or tire lever and you can gently pry against the caliper body. Sometimes you need to push one piston in, then the other, then repeat if they don't move independently.
    NW MTB Addict

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks. That was embarrassingly straight forward. Now, I need to adjust the free spin contact though since there is now slight rubbing when the wheel spins.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That can be a little tricky/finnicky... First loosen the two bolts which secure the caliper to your fork then you have 2 options. I have found the easiest way is to have the bike in a stand or have the front wheel otherwise off the ground, give the wheel a good spin and very gently and slowly pull the lever. The pads will contact and the wheel will continue spinning, gently increase lever pressure until the wheel stops then hold the lever firm while you gently tighten the caliper bolts, making sure you don't move the caliper while you tighten the bolts.

Alternatively, you can loosen the caliper bolts and adjust it by hand.... trying to make sure there is clearance between each pad and the rotor. This can be more of a hassle, but has worked if you can't get the above method to work properly. Good luck! Disc brakes are rad but can be a pain when they are fussy.
    NW MTB Addict