Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,287

    elixir quality control??

    anyone seeing inconsistent elixir brakes? i see a lot of new bikes out of the box with inconsistent elixir brakes. rear calipers mostly. pistons don't seem to retract far enough(square seal issues???). piston will go back in the bore just fine and one squeeze the brakes have basically minimal clearance. front brakes are usually fine. sram is good on the support but it seems like a waste of time to warranty the brakes.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    36
    I'm experiencing a weird problem with the set of Elixir's I've just fitted to my Kona. I picked up a mint condition Kikapu - this thing was literally showroom condition - for peanuts and decided to upgrade it to use as an everyday bike. I replaced the old Marzocchis with Recon Silver TKs, and the Hayes mech. discs with Elixir 5s and G3 rotors (185 front and 160 rear). They work brilliantly; the stopping power and modulation is superb, and they've bedded in perfectly. But in the last week a weird humming noise has developed at the front - it's so loud that I could hear it even when riding with my headphones in! I presumed it was the disc rubbing, but it's not. The wheel spins freely and there is no noise when depressing the lever; I've cleaned the calliper and disc thoroughly just in case, and they're absolutely fine. It has been driving me mad trying to work out where the noise is coming from!!!
    If I hold the bike upright and rock it gently from side to side, without turning the wheels and without activating the brakes, after a few moments the noise starts up... you know the humming noise that you get when you run a wet finger around the top of a wine glass? It's like that! When I hold the bike still again the nice continues for a few seconds and then stops. But when I hold the front brake on and rock the bike, it doesn't happen. All I can think is that it has something to do with the brake line, rather than the calliper/rotor - maybe air moving along the hose?

    Please, if anyone knows what might be causing this noise TELL ME!!! It's driving me insane!!!!

    The Kikapu's a 2007 model with a really tinny sounding 7005 frame. Could frame resonance be a factor?

    DonQ

  3. #3
    human dehumidifier
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,969
    My CRs worked great from day 1 and have been going strong for about 1-1/2 years and two sets of pads so far.

    If you look at all the threads, you'll see most makes/models seem to have good and bad runs. I had Hayes Strokers that gave me fits until I gave up on them. At the same time, other people were in love with them. Could the inconsistency be a part of trying to make something work that's more complex than it needs to be? Maybe related to having to keep things as light as possible? Dunno. But it's true that it seems like all brake manufacturers have turned out products that both suck and don't suck. Something has to cause the inconsistency.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bob12676's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQuix78 View Post
    I'm experiencing a weird problem with the set of Elixir's I've just fitted to my Kona. I picked up a mint condition Kikapu - this thing was literally showroom condition - for peanuts and decided to upgrade it to use as an everyday bike. I replaced the old Marzocchis with Recon Silver TKs, and the Hayes mech. discs with Elixir 5s and G3 rotors (185 front and 160 rear). They work brilliantly; the stopping power and modulation is superb, and they've bedded in perfectly. But in the last week a weird humming noise has developed at the front - it's so loud that I could hear it even when riding with my headphones in! I presumed it was the disc rubbing, but it's not. The wheel spins freely and there is no noise when depressing the lever; I've cleaned the calliper and disc thoroughly just in case, and they're absolutely fine. It has been driving me mad trying to work out where the noise is coming from!!!
    If I hold the bike upright and rock it gently from side to side, without turning the wheels and without activating the brakes, after a few moments the noise starts up... you know the humming noise that you get when you run a wet finger around the top of a wine glass? It's like that! When I hold the bike still again the nice continues for a few seconds and then stops. But when I hold the front brake on and rock the bike, it doesn't happen. All I can think is that it has something to do with the brake line, rather than the calliper/rotor - maybe air moving along the hose?

    Please, if anyone knows what might be causing this noise TELL ME!!! It's driving me insane!!!!

    The Kikapu's a 2007 model with a really tinny sounding 7005 frame. Could frame resonance be a factor?

    DonQ
    I really want to try to help, but that sounds like an impossible noise to get from your brakes. Air in the line won't make any noise at all. Check your front hub to see if it has any play and make sure your brake lines are clearing the tire, aside from that... I don't know. Keep us informed when you figure it out. Good luck!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bob12676's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    anyone seeing inconsistent elixir brakes? i see a lot of new bikes out of the box with inconsistent elixir brakes. rear calipers mostly. pistons don't seem to retract far enough(square seal issues???). piston will go back in the bore just fine and one squeeze the brakes have basically minimal clearance. front brakes are usually fine. sram is good on the support but it seems like a waste of time to warranty the brakes.
    I have had 3 sets of Elixir's. The 2010 CR's that came on my Stumpjumper have been good, however I'm not a big fan and they require pretty regular tinkering. The Elixer R's that came on my Spearfish were a disaster and after several attempts at bleeding them at 3 different shops they were replaced with the Elixir 5's originally spec-ed on the bike. Of the three sets the 5's are by far the best IMHO. I guess 2 out-a 3 ain't bad.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    69
    Very interesting DonQuix78. Any updates on your problem? I have a 2011 Stumpjumper with Elixir R SL brakes. Im riding along on the pavement about 13 mph and suddenly the bike starts screaming. Sounds like the brakes, but I am not touching the brakes. I coast to a stop and it screams the entire time, but stops when I stop. I can't find the noise or anything loose. Happened about 7 times on a 25 mile ride. I noticed it would start after I went over a slight down bump and the fork dropped a bit.

    Took it to the shop, they put on new brake pads, trued the wheels. Took it out on the trail and it happened again, several times, though not quite as loud. Once when I rode down over a curb so I tried to recreate the problem back at the parking lot by riding off a curb but of course it won't do it when I want it to.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,998
    DonQuix78 and RideMore56 - Sounds like there is some level of frame resonance occurring. Something is causing a resonance which the frame then amplifies. Tracking the source down could be annoying....

    As for the OP - we have not experienced this, but please keep us posted!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMore56 View Post
    Very interesting DonQuix78. Any updates on your problem? I have a 2011 Stumpjumper with Elixir R SL brakes. Im riding along on the pavement about 13 mph and suddenly the bike starts screaming. Sounds like the brakes, but I am not touching the brakes. I coast to a stop and it screams the entire time, but stops when I stop. I can't find the noise or anything loose. Happened about 7 times on a 25 mile ride. I noticed it would start after I went over a slight down bump and the fork dropped a bit.

    Took it to the shop, they put on new brake pads, trued the wheels. Took it out on the trail and it happened again, several times, though not quite as loud. Once when I rode down over a curb so I tried to recreate the problem back at the parking lot by riding off a curb but of course it won't do it when I want it to.
    Hi, and thanks for replying!

    Since my last post I've noticed the same issue - namely that the sound would more often than not begin after a drop in the forks. I've had it into the LBS and they took the whole mechanism off, cleaned it all and re-fitted it, trued the wheels, checked the hubs, etc which seemed to do the trick for a couple of rides then it came back again! It's frustrating because I love the brakes to use - the feel and power is excellent - but once they start getting noisy they absolutely SCREAM!
    I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'll either have to continuously adjust them, or try a different set. Which sucks. Frame resonance does seem to make sense just due to the nature of the noise that's being made, but other than wrapping the frame in bubble-wrap I don't think there's much I'm going to be able to do about that. The joys of biking, eh?

    DonQ

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    69
    Well glad I'm not the only one. It's kind of scary cause I wonder if something is going to suddenly grab my front brake tight and flip me on the ground! Something must be moving in the caliper after hitting a bump.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    69
    Here is someones video of the noise. Avid Elixir R brake noise - YouTube

  11. #11
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,893
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMore56 View Post
    Here is someones video of the noise. Avid Elixir R brake noise - YouTube
    I would check to see if the top edge of the rotor is rubbing vertically against the inside of the caliper. I had this problem with my Elixir XO's despite running the stock 185mm Avid rotor, adapter and hardware, installed exactly per instructions. The fix was easy, just added washers between the adapter and CPS hardware to move the caliper out 1-2mm.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: absoluteczech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    416
    im wanting to get elixir cr's but all these noise complains are turning me off

  13. #13
    sadly, like the element
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    401
    For every one of these complaints, there's probably 2-3 people who have none. I have none but mine came spec'd on my bike. I had the turkey warbler rear but after changing wheels and re-centering the caliper in the process I haven't had any problems. But I'm also probably more tolerant to my bike making weird sounds due to my lackadaisical nature.

    But the sheer numbers of complaints here don't discount the fact that yeah, they probably have some issues in the past and going forward and I'd be wary of purchasing them separately if I had a choice between some Maguras, Shimanos, or Formulas.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    290
    There are a million threads about Elixir noise and piston retraction issues, but I wonder what the ratio of problems is when you compare OEM installations and aftermarket installations.

    My 2011 Stumpjumper HT Expert came with Elixir CR's and G3 rotors and they suck balls. Most of my issues are related to the CPS mounting system not holding position and more importantly, the pistons do not extend and retract consistently. Some rides the brakes would be quiet and have no issues and some rides, they would make noise all day because the pistons would stick after heating up...

    I called Avid and they wanted to replace my brakes, but asked me to take my bike to a dealer shop to execute the warranty claim. Shop had the bike for a couple days and heard back from Avid a week or so later with news that they were shipping new X9 Elixirs to deal with my problems.

    I am going back to the shop tomorrow to pick them up and I will install them myself instead of waiting a week to get the appointment slot at the shop. Not sure if I am getting full sets with new rotors and also not sure if they will be the new 2012 models with the HS1 rotors or not. I will pick them up tomorrow am and throwh them on, bed the pads and let you all know if my problems were fixed.

  15. #15
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,799
    I had a little trouble at first, but after reading about them a little here I figured out my troubles. It seems that the majority of the time it is not the fault of the actual brake itself. Usually whomever set the brakes up is at fault for it. (This is not to say that anyone who installs them improperly is an idiot-they can be tricky.)
    I use to have the Elixir 3 brakes on my bike, but no longer do. I'm currently CL'ing them and I wouldn't feel bad about selling them as they aren't complete POS brakes. However, I wouldn't recommend investing in Avid XX or X0 brakes. For the price, I would try something else.

  16. #16
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,367
    Mines fine!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by ebnash View Post
    There are a million threads about Elixir noise and piston retraction issues, but I wonder what the ratio of problems is when you compare OEM installations and aftermarket installations.

    My 2011 Stumpjumper HT Expert came with Elixir CR's and G3 rotors and they suck balls. Most of my issues are related to the CPS mounting system not holding position and more importantly, the pistons do not extend and retract consistently. Some rides the brakes would be quiet and have no issues and some rides, they would make noise all day because the pistons would stick after heating up...

    I called Avid and they wanted to replace my brakes, but asked me to take my bike to a dealer shop to execute the warranty claim. Shop had the bike for a couple days and heard back from Avid a week or so later with news that they were shipping new X9 Elixirs to deal with my problems.

    I am going back to the shop tomorrow to pick them up and I will install them myself instead of waiting a week to get the appointment slot at the shop. Not sure if I am getting full sets with new rotors and also not sure if they will be the new 2012 models with the HS1 rotors or not. I will pick them up tomorrow am and throwh them on, bed the pads and let you all know if my problems were fixed.
    I picked up my brakes today and it turns out they supplied me with X0's. instead of Elixir 9's as I was originally told.

    They look to be the 2012 X0's with the new HS1 rotors. Got them installed and hoses trimmed this morning and bedded in the breaks. So far they seem ok, but only a ride will tell. I can, however, say that I am not really crazy about the pad to rotor contact point. They still look like the caliper is sitting a little low as the pad wear is a little below the outer edge of the rotor and a little into the "spokes" of the rotor. This to me seems like a perfect recipe for noise...

    I decided not to invest the time or money "$50 Bleed Kit" into bleeding them just yet. If they still give me problems, I will return the bleed kit unused and install Shimano brakes on the bike.

    My local REI has a set of XT M775 brakes on closeout for $99 per side and I have had great success with these brakes on my 6" bike for a couple years now...

  18. #18
    Daddy Dragon
    Reputation: ripdogg1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    39
    ebnash,
    How did the XOs work out for you? I just warrantied some CRs with my local shop. They suggested that when I get them back I should sell them and get some XTs. I've thought about it but I do love the way the Avid's feel when they do work.
    Has anyone else had issues with the warranty replacement brakes?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    359
    The only thing consistent about Elixers (Elixier 1 through XX) is their inconsistency from brake to brake. Fortunately they are easy to work on once you get a bleed kit, which usually remedies most of the issues. Plus you get to use it a lot, so practice makes perfect.
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    36
    ***UPDATE!!!***
    Well, it's been a good few months since my original post so I thought I'd let you know what's going on. Especially as so many of you were good enough to offer me advice. Basically, it drove me so mad that I ended up buying a scandium One20 frame and building that up with my Kikapu kit. The elixirs are now behaving perfectly and rarely make a noise! It seems it must have been some kind of frame-related resonance after all. Weird.

    Thank you all for your help.
    DonQ

Similar Threads

  1. Degrading Quality and Quality Control
    By Pinky29 in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 11:48 AM
  2. Quality control
    By misctwo in forum Intense
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 10:38 AM
  3. IH Quality Control
    By aesiegel in forum Iron Horse
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 06:32 PM
  4. ENO Quality Control
    By ernesto_from_Wisconsin in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 07:13 PM
  5. Rp3-Quality Control
    By Redmon in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-02-2004, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •