Thread: Elixir HELL...P

Low Rep Count

Elixir HELL...P

Ok, so I got them the other day and cut the cables and went through the whole bleed process. I then went out and did the bedding process. Today I pulled the bike down and squeezed the levers. They went all the way to the grips! So... I bled them again. Things felt good then I noticed fluid leaking out of the bleed port (around the plug screw) on the rear. The front was fine. I then made a trip to a shop (not much help) then headed to REI and ended up getting a new o-ring. I went through the whole bleeding process again. Life was good. I got out for a quick 10 miler and they were working great. No squealing, great breaking... I hung the bike back up, took a shower and took my daughter to soccer practice. About 3 hours later (after riding) I squeezed the lever and the same thing happened! This time there is no oil anywhere yet the levers are complete squish!

I would think that if they were leaking that they would have gone to squish while riding. What am I missing?

Please no crap about thats what you get with Elixirs... Gotta get them fixed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    hate to say it.. but.... youve still got air in the lines.. or youve possibly got one of the internal bushings messed up ( there are a couple vids of the symptoms of this out there)

when you fill your syringes.. do you draw the fluid in or pour the fluid into the syringe? On someone elses advice i poured mine in and it made a HUGE difference.. virtually no beginning bubbles to work out.

just somewhere for you to start.

Low Rep Count
    Just to answer the questions, I drew the fluid in. I am in the medical field and work with syringes every day. However, I see your point and may give that a shot. I will look up some vids to see what I can find. I can only think that if there is a seal screwed up somewhere that it is probably in the lever vs the caliper.

Were these vids on you tube or Avids site?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    youtube video = Jgh8i65mAFE
    i cant post links yet.. too few posts.

wait until the second half of the video where he shows the example.. and yes its a washer or bushing in the lever. ( as i understand it.. im NO expert on this)

good luck!

Low Rep Count
    Well, I watched a couple clips and the only thing I think I might have missed was pressurizing the caliper. I'm a little annoyed though and finally broke down and threw the bike in the car and was/am planning to take it to my local REI (believe it or not, this particular REI is very well stocked and the mechanics there are by far some of the best mtb mechanics I have delt with). I don't mind paying to have it done right, my problem is the turn around time. I have an organized ride on 10/16 and my concern is how long they will have the bike in the shop to get it done.

I was going to bring the bleed kit with me today and try any tips that got posted up...but I completely forgot to pack all the tools and what not. So if I take the bike back home today and play with it, it will simply add one day to the down time if I still have to take it to the shop. Oh the drama!

The one thing I noticed on the video (embeded below) is that they mention setting the pad adjuster dial all they way opposite the arrow. (basically, where the pads would have the shortest contact time with the rotor). To me that just seems odd. I mean, once the bleed is done there there really isn't any adjustment in the lever/feel to increase the engangement time. I would think that you would want the lever turned all the way in the direction of the arrow (longer pull of the lever before engagement) so that there would be more fluid in the system and then you could actually dial in faster engagement.

In any case, I will be ticked if there is a problem with another o-ring. These are brand new frickn brakes and I already had to replace one of the banjo o-rings. I might add that home depot does not carry such a small frickn o-ring and Avid only sells them as part of the caliper rebuild kit that costs in excess of $25! I may try a refrigeration store that I know of as I am thinking that these little rings are the weak link and having extras on hand would be a great idea.

Low Rep Count
    After going through the video while actually bleeding the brakes at the same time, I think I am headed in the right direction now. I's swear up and down that I was doing it right, none the less, I pulled quite a bit of air out of the levers during that process. As a result they now have a more firm feel and aren't pinching my fingers when squeezed. I am thinking that I will need to do the front lever again as it is a little softer than the right but both feel 100% better.

In a nutshell, I'm an idiot and should have just verified that I was doing the process correctly to start with. Thanks for the idea of checking out the videos as that really made a difference.

mtbr member
    hey man, i noticed you said that you "hung the bike up...something about soccer practice." Make sure that the bike is parallel to the ground (you probable do this already), but i see a lot of bikes hanging perpendicular to the ground, and that can lead to bubbles in the brake lines.

Also, It took me two times to get the right bleed on my elixirs, so don't worry too much. I think everybody has a little trouble at first.

Low Rep Count
    My bike actually hangs upside down from both wheels from the ceiling. Now this obviously was not an issue with the BB7's on it. However, since I have been having this issue with the brakes, I have not hung the bike back up yet. I may have to rework some things in the garage so that it can hang parallel to the wall (up against it-as if it were standing on the ground) but right side up.

I believe what I was missing was the bleeding of the lever. This is where I pulled alot of air bubbles out. The squishy lever feel came from my not pressurizing the lever after pulling bubbles out. A quick check this morning shows the lever holding and the feel is the same as it was yesterday so I am happy at this point. I will probably rebleed the lever again this evening (front lever) as that one is a little softer than the rear. Other than that, I am quite excited right now!

Definitely, thanks for the help you guys threw out there!

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    My bike actually hangs upside down from both wheels from the ceiling. Now this obviously was not an issue with the BB7's on it. However, since I have been having this issue with the brakes, I have not hung the bike back up yet. I may have to rework some things in the garage so that it can hang parallel to the wall (up against it-as if it were standing on the ground) but right side up.
    I think PeterMarv is onto something. In a perfect world where there was absolutely no air trapped anywhere in your system you should be able to hang your bike upside down if you wanted, but it's rare that you can get all the air out of an Avid system so you should try and store the bike right side up if you can. When the bike is inverted, it allows the air to move from the lever (where the bladder means air can be trapped there with no issue) to the caliper or lines. I hang my bike by putting the saddle over a rafter or a screw in hook. Bikes don't usually hang as high off the ground that way so it might not work for you.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Low Rep Count
    I'll have to play around with it this weekend to see what I can work out. I would think that if I hang it by the seat that the bars would dip lower thus not being level (while not being perpendicular either). I will figure something out though. I don't think I can deal with having to bleed these things every couple of days!

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    I'll have to play around with it this weekend to see what I can work out. I would think that if I hang it by the seat that the bars would dip lower thus not being level (while not being perpendicular either). I will figure something out though. I don't think I can deal with having to bleed these things every couple of days!
    The problem comes when your calipers are higher than your levers. Even if they're level or nearly level you won't run into any problems with short term storage.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Low Rep Count

Life is GOOD!

Well, the brakes worked great. Got in a quick ride this afternoon and really can't complain about them much at all.

As far as hanging the bike, I simply hooked the seat on the hook that I was hanging it on by the wheels. Fortunately there is a soffet right over the door to the house that the rear tire rests on, thus preventing the front tire from dipping lower than the rear (well it sits a little lower) but the levers are still a good 10" higher than the calipers.