Thread: Elixir failure

mtbr member

Elixir failure

My Spearfish came with Elixir R's that were crap. Any time the bike was on a steep incline the lever would pull all the way to the grip. After several attempts at bleeding them at 3 different bike shops the brakes were replaced under warranty with a set of Elixir 5's, I wasn't happy about the lower spec replacement but they worked. The new brakes are now 3 months old and are failing, the lever pull has been getting more and more inconsistent . Yesterday, on a rare Michigan January ride, the front brake failed completely, sending me off the trail. Thank God I didn't get seriously injured, just some scrapes. I don't get it, my wife has a Spearfish with the R's and they're great. I have CR's on one of my other bikes and no problems. All my bikes are stored in the same place and hung the same way. Despite my earlier problems with Elixir brakes I have defended them, thinking that there are always going to be manufacturer defects, but this is just crazy. It's safe to say I will not be defending these brakes ever again, they are absolute poo. I really don't even want to put another set on my bike, free replacement or not.

FYI: I waited a day to write this so I could cool down. If I had written this yesterday the colorful language I would have used would have most likely gotten me band from this forum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had a problematic elixir brake, in my opinion, they are flawed to some degree. See the lower posts with the picture ->
    Weird brake problem (problem found)

mtbr member
    B.BL, thanks. That thread came up before I started having problems with my first set, which would explain why I missed it. The explanation in that thread sounds exactly like what was going on with the brakes that came on the bike. I wonder if the problems I'm having with the current set are the beginnings of the same issue.

sheep in FOX clothing
    My front CR acts up in terms of lever throw.

But the back has been flawless for a year, implying it is possible to get them to work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    BB5's and 7's are the only good brakes avid makes. Get XT's and you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    We did a bleed last night, but I won't have a chance to ride until this weekend. Lots of air in the fronts, which is not much of a surprise. If this doesn't take care of the problem and they want to warranty them, I'm going to ask about trading them (and some extra money) for something better. Either some XT's or Formula RX's. That will probably be my next post

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i had elixir 7s that came on my spesh enduro, the rear started to not hold a bleed. working for a shop i was able to call up sram(my first time ever dealing with them personally) and they had no problems sending me out new brakes. since the oe set was a custom color they sent both front and rear so they would match and even included carbon levers. another customer/friend is having issues with his cr's and they sent out a brand new set of the 9s to replace them with no hassle. maybe try talking to a shop other than the one that originally got you your first replacement and see if they can get you into a set of 7s that would be equivalent to your original R's or upgrade you to 9s since they screwed you the first time. maybe even call up sram and explain the situation and have them work with your lbs to get this straightened out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    i had elixir 7s that came on my spesh enduro, the rear started to not hold a bleed. working for a shop i was able to call up sram(my first time ever dealing with them personally) and they had no problems sending me out new brakes. since the oe set was a custom color they sent both front and rear so they would match and even included carbon levers. another customer/friend is having issues with his cr's and they sent out a brand new set of the 9s to replace them with no hassle. maybe try talking to a shop other than the one that originally got you your first replacement and see if they can get you into a set of 7s that would be equivalent to your original R's or upgrade you to 9s since they screwed you the first time. maybe even call up sram and explain the situation and have them work with your lbs to get this straightened out.
    I called Sram directly when the first set of brakes were acting up. They were very helpful and I have no doubt that if it comes down to it Sram will replace the brakes for me. Unfortunately, I was told by Sram I would have to work through the shop I bought the bike from (I bought the bike on-line). The shop has also been really helpful and isn't giving me a problem, the issue is that I think I've lost faith in all Avid brakes. It's funny how one equipment failure that sends you off trail and into the brush can do that! As for getting a higher level Avid brakes, if I'm not mistaken they are all basically the same, the higher end models are just lighter and have more features/adjustments.

local jackass
    My elixir 4s had been very problematic and actually the rear locked up on me during a race. The shop I was racing for called avid and they sent elixir 9s and new rotors. I have one ride on the new brakes but so far so good!
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

AZ
    banned
    Completely opposite experience with my CR's, they have been flawless for three years with exactly one bleed. I have used them in temps from -6 f. to well over +100 f. I hope you guys get yours sorted out to your satisfaction. Good luck.