mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Elixir CR Troubles

I recently purchased an 09 GT Sanction and it has Elixir CRs on it. I was very excited to finally have a pair of quality brakes. However, there was horrible pad rub immediately, so I scoured the internet for a cure. I have tried just about everything. Now, the front brake is a tiny bit quieter, but I lost a massive amount of power so it's not worth it (I used to be able to endo). Solution?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i'm in the same boat i only have a few miles maybe 30 on my bike and went threw some puddles the other day and they have been sqweeling ever since. tryed riding holding both brakes on for a while helped a little. sucks sounds like i'm honking a horn everytime i brake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i have elixir cr as well and they make all kinds of noises. here are some things that i did to resolve my issues.

i placed a washer between the adaptor and caliper to move where the pad contacts the rotors outward. before i did this, the pad was making contact with the rotor arms when braking. dont tighten the calipers to the adaptors just yet.

i reset the pistons. take off the wheels, brake pads, and using a screw driver i pushed the pistons back in. I lightly sanded pads and wiped with alcohol, reinsert the pads and mount the wheels (make sure the wheel is seated properly.

realign the calipers. eye out the amount of space between the rotors and pads. squeeze the brakes a few times and incrementally tighten the caliper screws.

i noticed that the outer pistons move in more than the inner piston when i squeeze the brakes, because of this i think its normal to have the outer pad closer to the rotor than the inner pad so when the brakes are engaged, an equal amount of force is grabing the rotors.

i also changed the rear 160 mm rotors to a hayes v6 160 mm rotors, not sure if this was necessary, but my brakes are pretty quiet now. i rode a trail that had a lot of stream crossings and they only made noise when wet, but after a few squeezes of the brake, they were quiet again.

i hope you guys resolve your issues, i spent a lot of time and money to figure this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Watch this. It's a video from Hope, but it is the best caliper setup method I know off and should work for any disc brake (I also use it for my wife's Shimano brakes). It takes a bit more time than the squeeze the brakes and tighten screw method, but it pays off. You might also try to get rid of the Avid tri-align (I think it is called that way) conical washers and replace them with regular washers of the right thickness. With the Hope alignment method they only complicate things anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    OP, you'll have to accept that you have inferior brakes. I have these and have tried it all to get them to perform quietly (like Simano's, for instance). The 'turkey gobble' is Avid's signature call, because of their poor quality. Their two piece construction is part of the cause, but I believe the slack manufacturing tolerances necessitate the ridiculous concial washer scheme that doesn't allow a firm mount of the caliper to the post like the other, better brands do. If you have the moeny, replace them. If not, regularly sand them, bleed them and adjust them to minimize the racket.

psycho cyclo addict
    The OP's issue sounds more like an alignment/adjustment problem. I had to install a set of thin washers on the inside of the Juicy 7's on my HT because the rotor would not clear the inner side of the brake pads when I switched wheelsets.

As for the others, it might be worth a try cleaning the rotors with BrakeKleen and taking a close look at the pads. If the front one squeaks more than the rear, swap pads and see if there is any change.

I have ElixrCR's on my DS bike that have been no problem for better than 1 year of riding 40+ miles per week on trails and the road. They squeal for a few minutes after I ride through deep water but otherwise have been quiet. My Juicy 7's make more noise after getting wet but also quiet down after 15 mins or so.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtvet
    OP, you'll have to accept that you have inferior brakes. I have these and have tried it all to get them to perform quietly (like Simano's, for instance). The 'turkey gobble' is Avid's signature call, because of their poor quality...
    I recently poked fun at a friend's "Shimano" XTR brakes because they were unbelievably loud for quite a while on a 20+ mile ride... he said they don't squeak, that's squealing you hear

Doesn't mean XTR is inferior in my book... to each their own and never say never is my mantra.

mtbr member
    I thought that avid has break in procedures. If the brakes are squeaking, I just sand them lightly with 100-200 grit sandpaper and they are quiet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    sebob,

I got a '10 GT Sanction 1 with the CR's too last July and they went through a serious squealing break-in period for maybe the first 75 miles in the first couple of weeks I had the bike and rode hard. Once things set, it got a lot quieter. During the fall and early winter there was still a little noise from time to time when it was wet out.

Now, they're good even in the wet. Rear brake needs to be adjusted for a little gobbling now and then but the front's been worry-free.

I've talked to a lot of guys about the CR's and its real hit-or-miss with them. Some guys got decent brake sets and love them and others got real lemons.

Ride or die
    I've been running Avid discs for 6 years now: juicy 7s and now Elixer CRs, and have found that as long as they are set up right, they will stop on a dime and rarely make noise; though, I don't rely on the tri-align to set up my brakes. Instead, I use the Hope method posted by @cascade to center the rotor.