mtbr member

Elixir CR reach adjustment not working

Howdy All,
    I have Avid Elixir CRs and my reach adjustment has stopped working. I can spin the barrel adjuster in either direction and the lever does not move. Any ideas what I might have done?
    Thanks for any help!
    It's always downhill....It just depends which direction you're going

human dehumidifier
    sounds like you've stripped a thread or the barrel adjuster isn't turning the shaft anymore. My memory fails me on this, but doesn't the adjuster have a set screw involved? If so and that holds the barrel to the threaded adjuster, and now it isn't, the barrel might be spinning but doing nothing.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    I have the same problem with my right lever on my Elixir CRs. That's because I was fooling around with the set screw (tiny screw in reach adjustment knob) and broke it off.

There should be a hex screw underneath the lever, near the pivot, for which you can use a hex (allen) wrench to adjust the reach. Moves the same knob. See step 3: http://www.sram.com/avid/setup-guide...ic-brake-setup

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by onegymrat
    I have the same problem with my right lever on my Elixir CRs. That's because I was fooling around with the set screw (tiny screw in reach adjustment knob) and broke it off.

There should be a hex screw underneath the lever, near the pivot, for which you can use a hex (allen) wrench to adjust the reach. Moves the same knob. See step 3: http://www.sram.com/avid/setup-guide...ic-brake-setup
    Yep the adjustment "knob" is worthless use the hex screw instead

mtbr member
    The reach adjuster for the rear brake is almost impossible to move using the turn knob. The only way I can turn it is by using the hex bolt behind the lever.

I sprayed some WD40 in case there was some dirt but it's still difficult to move. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    I had the same problem and scarred the adj knob up trying to get mine to spin. I ordered replacement hardware and changed out all the parts and it operates like new. You may just take the parts off and clean them up and reinstall. Heres a link to parts kit. Avid Lever Reach Kit, 09/10 Elixir-R/CR from Bike Bling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeper View Post
    I had the same problem and scarred the adj knob up trying to get mine to spin. I ordered replacement hardware and changed out all the parts and it operates like new. You may just take the parts off and clean them up and reinstall. Heres a link to parts kit. Avid Lever Reach Kit, 09/10 Elixir-R/CR from Bike Bling
    How do you remove the parts for cleaning?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    How do you remove the parts for cleaning?
    Look at the link I posted, and remember what's pictured in the kit. Remove the small set screw from the reach adj knob. Remove the long allen head adj screw behind lever. Then push out the barrel that sits in the top of lever. The big round part that slides back and forth as you adj reach. There are 2 washers, one on each side of lever . The knob and spring just pull up and out. Once out do your cleaning and reinstall. Remember spring goes between lever and knob. I found it easiest to push spring in with knob and when compressed the knob will go right into place. Reinstall barrel into lever and put washer back each side. Allen head(hex) screw next. Tighten all the way down. Reinstall small set screw back into adj knob. You'll prolly have to spin around till you can push screw thru the slot in hex screw to fully tighten. Hope that helps.