mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Elixir CR M/C binding

I just changed out the rear pads on my Elixir CRs. Had to let a small amount of fluid out of the M/C to get the caliper pistons to push back in far enough to fit the new pads.

Now, it feels as if the piston in the M/C is binding sticking. If I turn the pad contact adj all the way to minimal lever travel before contact and then stroke the lever...it won't return. I feel a hard click when pulling the lever in to the bar, but it doesn't return on its own. I can force it to return, and again feel a hard click. If I back out on the pad contact adj, the binding/clicking feel gets progressively less noticeable and the lever will return on its own. But, the lever has to travel significantly further to start actuating the pads.

I've done two rides with it in this condition. Kind of thought maybe I'd ride it until catastrophic failure since I'm sure an o-ring or something on the m/c piston will surely wear out quick if it is the m/c piston that is binding.

Anyone else have this issue? If it is the piston in the m/c then I'm curious if a rebuild kit will solve the problem. With that...anyone know of a source to get the order just the m/c portion?

mtbr member
    Sam,
    Try a bleed first. If that doesn't solve the problem then overhaul and inspect the M/C piston assembly - take a close look at the M/C spring for damage, as well, make sure there isn't any debris in the bore or that you have a dry/dirty M/C piston seal.