mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Elixir brakes feel lumpy?

Hey all, I have an issue with my avid elixir 5's on my '13 stumpy FSR comp evo. I have searched around and read lots of replies with people having noisy elixir's, or gritty feeling elixir's, but none have really described an issue like what I seem to be experiencing.

My brakes aren't really making any squealing noises, or feeling gritty, but rather they feel lumpy, almost like there are high and low spots on the rotors. This causes a little bit of a warble noise, but it sounds different from some of the videos that I have seen on youtube. As far as affecting performance, under hard braking, I can definitely feel the brakes sort of surging, and if I try to do a stoppy, well, I can't really because it makes the front end surge and with the shock compressing it feels too unstable...

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? Should I try replacing the rotors and pads, or just save that money for a shimano set up?

psycho cyclo addict
    Haven't heard that one...

How about swapping pads... front and rear?

If that doesn't make a difference and your rotors have no physical damage, I'd replace all the brake fluid on the front and see what that does (bleed it through from the lever side down and out the caliper end).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'll give those a go and see if there is any improvement? Are these brakes difficult to bleed?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    A mate has some juicy 5's on his Haro X7 he bought new. He experianced a similar "surge" that picked up with speed. It ended up being a thick spot on the rotor.
    Essentially one area of the rotor was thicker then the rest. This is easily check with a set of vernier calipers. The shop swapped it straight away - albeit with a mismatched Hayes rotor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    it sounds like a bent rotor to me

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by McSlow View Post
    A mate has some juicy 5's on his Haro X7 he bought new. He experianced a similar "surge" that picked up with speed. It ended up being a thick spot on the rotor.
    Essentially one area of the rotor was thicker then the rest. This is easily check with a set of vernier calipers. The shop swapped it straight away - albeit with a mismatched Hayes rotor.
    That is sort of what I am afraid of, but I dont have calipers to check it with...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had considered this too, it *looks* straight though, and has no discernable wobble while rolling.

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards just replacing the rotors. I want to upgrade the front to a 200mm anyways.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just take your rotor to your local hardware/bikestore/engineer etc and ask to use some calipers. If your rotor is out, get it replaced under warranty.
    Otherwise just buy your bigger rotor and hopefully that'll be sorted. Either way, hope you get it sorted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The term is pulsing. You have a bad rotor which should be warranted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollisbt View Post
    . I want to upgrade the front to a 200mm anyways.
    i have noticed even brand spankin new rotors are out of true most of the time so straightening them is a good skill to develop

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I tried swapping the pads front and rear, thought that had it fixed, until the pistons re-set themselves.

Upon closer inspection I am mostly certain that the cause is a very slightly bent rotor. Is that repairable? And if so, how? Or am I better off just upgrading to that 200mm front rotor?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Unless there is a kink in the rotor no. If the rotor is just a little "out of true" then that is not the problem. Pulsing like you describe is from rotor that aren't perfect. They have either a thin or thicker section that causes the pulsing sensation. It is relatively common. When I brought in a pair of avid rotors it was warranted instantly and my rotors were placed in a stack of bad Avid rotors. I had an XTR like that too. It happens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hmmm, so would you recommend that I contact avid about it? I bought my bike second hand if that makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Can't hurt to call them. The worst they can do is say no. They are the brake people and chances are they know exactly what the issue is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollisbt View Post
    Hmmm, so would you recommend that I contact avid about it? .
    i had to go through a dealer to get warranty satisfaction from avid, not a big deal but

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I contacted sram about this yesterday, they said that it sounds like high and low spots on the rotor, which were most likely caused by not bedding in the brakes properly. They suggested replacing the rotor and pads, and said that it wouldn't be warrantable since I was not the original owner.

So it looks like now is a great time to step up to that larger 200mm rotor . What are some good online retailers to buy parts from? I would really like to get the alligator rotors, but it looks like they are somewhat hard to find... The only two online stores that I know of are jenson and price point.