Thread: elixir 5's

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

elixir 5's

hey all i got Avid elixirs 5's last year to replace my BB7's. I like avid brakes but I cant seem to get these elixirs to impress me. They've been bled twice this year by my resident hydro expert and the bleeds seem to last about a month and then they get spongy, alternate going from the bar to having pressure, to just not working. so my question is this
    whats the best bleed process? we followed the directions by chuck from sram.
    are there brakes even worth trying to get to work right? if properly bled will they perform better then bb7's? i ask because i jumped on my old bike the other day set up with an older pairs of bb7's and i was shocked at how amazing they felt. looking for any and all ideas on how to get the Elixirs to work to their full potential. other wise im thinking the bb7's may go back on.
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by nickcarll View Post
    hey all i got Avid elixirs 5's last year to replace my BB7's. I like avid brakes but I cant seem to get these elixirs to impress me. They've been bled twice this year by my resident hydro expert and the bleeds seem to last about a month and then they get spongy, alternate going from the bar to having pressure, to just not working. so my question is this
    whats the best bleed process? we followed the directions by chuck from sram.
    are there brakes even worth trying to get to work right? if properly bled will they perform better then bb7's? i ask because i jumped on my old bike the other day set up with an older pairs of bb7's and i was shocked at how amazing they felt. looking for any and all ideas on how to get the Elixirs to work to their full potential. other wise im thinking the bb7's may go back on.
    That's why you had BB7 before, no ?

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!