mtbr member

Elixir 5 pad change damaged seals?

I finally wore through the pads on my Elixir 5s yesterday on my 2011 Kona Tanuki Deluxe I got new pads and installed them per the instructions that came with the Avid pads.

The instructions said to push the piston in using the old pads and a flat head. When I did this I looked up and heard a little noise coming from my brake levers. I checked and there wasnt anything there. I kept working and heard the same thing again. Then I look down and see a few drops of brake fluid on the floor below my bike. It is leaking out around the lever by the pivot point on the handle.

Now the brakes work but the handle feels mega soft like it needs to be bled. Did changing the brake pads somehow destroy the seals in the lever's plunger? Is this a warranty thing or am I stuck buying new brakes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'd take them back to where you got them from if possible. It sounds like there could be a defective part/seal issue going on.
    I know there are rebuild parts for a lot of these avid internals, but whether it covers the issue you have I'm not sure of.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Yeah, it definitely seems like it is a defective seal that killed it. I hope they can warranty it for me, its been over a year.

b a n n e d
    Doubtful you'll get warrantied . . . sounds like a blown seal at the lever which went when you pushed the pads in (and thus forcing fluid back into the lever). Depending on how much it is to get them rebuilt, I might consider putting that money towards a new set of brakes all together.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Is that not the way the pads should be replaced? That was the way the avid service manual recommended doing it so I thought It was correct. it seems that with it being a sealed system, there should be the fluid capacity to handle the piston compression without blowing.
    Why a whole new set? I was thinking of just getting a lever, I have been pretty happy with these brakes so far until this. Are these problem prone so they should be replaced?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by danguskhan View Post
    Is that not the way the pads should be replaced? That was the way the avid service manual recommended doing it so I thought It was correct. it seems that with it being a sealed system, there should be the fluid capacity to handle the piston compression without blowing.
    Why a whole new set? I was thinking of just getting a lever, I have been pretty happy with these brakes so far until this. Are these problem prone so they should be replaced?
    Nope, I'm sure that's how it is supposed to be done. It was likely just a bad seal is all.

I suggested a new set depending on how much it is to repair what you have. If its going to cost you like $100 to fix it, I'd think really hard about whether or not its worth it, when you can get a set of Hope X2's or Shimano XTs for not a whole lot more (which are FAR superior brakes). I ran the Elixir 5's for about a year and hated them from the first ride. If they are working for you and you like them, then by all means hang on to them, but if its going to cost you a decent chunk of change to fix them, they may not be worth it.

Just my .02 . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Nope, I'm sure that's how it is supposed to be done. It was likely just a bad seal is all.

I suggested a new set depending on how much it is to repair what you have. If its going to cost you like $100 to fix it, I'd think really hard about whether or not its worth it, when you can get a set of Hope X2's or Shimano XTs for not a whole lot more (which are FAR superior brakes). I ran the Elixir 5's for about a year and hated them from the first ride. If they are working for you and you like them, then by all means hang on to them, but if its going to cost you a decent chunk of change to fix them, they may not be worth it.

Just my .02 . . .
    Okay that makes sense. These are my first set of hydros so by comparison to the bb5s I've had in the past they feel miraculous. However, if the other ones are that much better, I will step up to those if I can't cheaply fix these. Thanks for sharing your expertise, much appreciated sir!

b a n n e d