mtbr member
    Jun 2012

elixir 5 goes soft after crash, why?

I just bled my Elixir 5 rear and it felt as solid as it ever does. Then I had a familiar experience; minor crash, bike flips over, no damage, hop back on and rear brake feels spongy as hell. Ride for a while and it recovers somewhat, but past experience tells me it won't recover all the way until I bleed it again. My guess is that air bubbles are introduced when the bike is upside down, even if it's just for a second. But it's only ever the rear that does this so maybe my theory is bogus. Thoughts? Thanks!

DFMBA.org

elixir 5 goes soft after crash, why?

I wonder if you had some bubbles that were trapped in the caliper or the piston which dislodged when you crashed? I'm running Elixir 3s and have done my own bleeds several times and they get a bit spongy when I leave the bike upside down over nite. I can get it to go away by flicking the lever several times fast. In your case it seems like the air is still trapped somewhere. Next time you do a bleed lightly tap on the caliper and lever body with a rubber hammer as you're pulling up on the syringe. I have dislodged some bubbles this way.

Lastly, the one critical step, at least in my experience, is to very-slowly let out the brake lever as you're pressurizing the piston. This is the step after you remove the strap holding the brake lever in. I've found that if I do this step too quickly the brakes are not as good. At this point, you're only option is to re-bleed.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks MTBeing

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah, must have been some air in the system that found it's way to the top. Rebleed sounds like the first step to rule that out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    take some extra time and go thru the de-gas method until there are barely any bubbles in the fluid as you pull on the plunger. It takes a really long time to do this, even whith brand new fluid. also, go through the pull/push method a few extra times when bleeding the caliper. Tap and shake it between each push/pull cycle. Tap/flick the lever a bunch when you isolate it too.

I find that spending a little extra time during my bleeds greatly increases my time between needing a new bleed.

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    Happens quite often with Avid's, I find they require constant maintenance. Probably just need to degas, if bubbles keep coming out consistently and don't stop, your lever seals are blown, hopefully that won't be the case

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Did another bleed, carefully, brake feels good so far after one ride. We'll see. I see a set of Shimano XTs in my future, someday.

For the last stage when bleeding the lever I laid the bike on it's side so the bleed port was pointing straight up. Don't know if this made any difference, but it seemed getting all the air out was easier that way.