Weekend Warrior

Elixir 5 Bleed Problem (With video) Help plz~~

Hey folks, so I just got this used elixir 5 for a bike i'm building. Got the bleed kit, and started bleeding acording to SRAM's video instructions...

Bleeding the caliper is no problem. However, when bleeding the brake lever, it seems that there is a little bit of air going back and forth in the lever that I can't get rid of, and it makes the hissing sound when I apply pressure or pull on the syringe...

Video is here, should be the latest post

What did I do wrong? Or is the brake no good or some sort of seal/oring is leaking air?

If I leave the hissing sound be and plug the bleed port, the lever would be firm for less than 10 presses, then it goes squishy and all the way to the handle bar...

Plz help
    Realtor/Photographer and weekend warrior.
    My Endomondo
    My Cycling Deals Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    both levers?

Weekend Warrior
    I think so.. Just rebleed it again, and both lever have about same free play, about 25mm/1in travel before it activates the caliper and finally not spongy anymore.

I guess 25mm freeplay is within acceptable range? Or if there is any other way to adjust freeplay on this brake so it activates caliper at 20mm/0.8"?
    Realtor/Photographer and weekend warrior.
    My Endomondo
    My Cycling Deals Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I couldn't play vid for some reason, but if your getting a hissing sound when manipulating the syringe at the lever, you may have a leak at the fitting going into the bleed port. Check to make sure your o-ring on the syringe hose fitting is not damaged. That connection needs to be air tight. If you still can't get an air tight seal at the bleed port, try wrapping a small piece of teflon tape around the threads of the syringe hose fitting that go into the bleed port. rebleed.