Bike to the Bone...

Elixir 5 & 7 difference...

I'm searching for new brakes. I tried last year the Elixir R, which I think that they are the Elixir 5 now. I know that Avid redesigned the master cilinder (or whatever it's called) and have the new rotors.

How much difference between both versions? The gripes I had with the Elixirs was the noise, vibration and on/off feeling (versus more modulation on the magura Louises BAT).

If the elixirs 7 with the new rotor would mean less vibration and better modulation they could be a great enhancement, but I don't know real world experience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    last year's Elixir R is this year's(2012) Elixir 7. Last years's Elixir 5 is this year's Elixir 5.

Only reason to go up a level or two in Elixir brakes is to gain reach adjustability and reduction in weight.

I ride on a set of '12 Elixir 9 with carbon levers and revised taperbore reservoir and they are fantastic. They don't make any noise and have power and modulation that exceeds my needs and expectations.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trailmax View Post
    last year's Elixir R is this year's(2012) Elixir 7. Last years's Elixir 5 is this year's Elixir 5.

Only reason to go up a level or two in Elixir brakes is to gain reach adjustability and reduction in weight.

I ride on a set of '12 Elixir 9 with carbon levers and revised taperbore reservoir and they are fantastic. They don't make any noise and have power and modulation that exceeds my needs and expectations.
    I just ordered new brakes myself, and acording to Avid (can't remember lady's name I talked to), and the website, the Elixir 7's & 9's have the redesigned Taperbore bleed port area. It is supposed to be easier to get all the air out of the system. Here is an Article about the new 7 & 9's. In the end, I decided on the 9's since they have the contact adjustment.

Good luck deciding!
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Awesome choice. Youll love them for sure.

Weekend Warrior
    Have a 2012 elixir 9 and a elixir 5 which is a few years older with old disc styles.

Modulation is awesome and predictable, reach adjustment without tools is definitely a plus in convenience department, but most of people will probably just adjust the reach once. Don't really know the point for contact adjustment, it feels like when turning it just made brake pads further apart... Definitely lighter than elixir 5.

Only had chance to bleed my old 5, even with the "professional bleeding tools", it aren't pretty, needs at least 2 bleeds to get all bubbles out. But once bubbles out, it works fantastic.

Haven't had the need to bleed the 9 since it was brand new... We'll see if the new one's claimed less trapped bubble is true or not soon...
    Photographer and a weekend warrior.
    Endomondo
    Website

mtbr member
    My Elixir 7s have a great feel (not on/off...but gradual if that makes sense) but have been noisier on my Stumpjumper than I would like. Organic pads have helped some. I would probably try a different brand next time, but I think a lot of the problem rests with the frame/brake combo, not just the brakes.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Ok, I have sweet silence now! I replaced my rotors with Alligator Serrations front and rear from Pricepoint, followed the procedure that MotorJeff recommended (using some sort of brake glue to adhere the pads to the spring), and then bedded the pads in. BAM! They are silent. Before, during the bed-in, they would start to vibrate and get noisy..now silence. YES!!!!!! I am excited to ride Thursday and put them to true test.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT