mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Elixir 4 rubbing disc

I have a 2010 model Specialized FSR XC Expert. I tried installing new pads a few weeks ago but when I tried to do this I noticed they wouldn't fit. I posted a thread on the forum and the answer was to release some of the liquid due to moisture build up.

I did this and managed to get the pads in but the liquid the brakes expelled doesn't seem to be enough.

They seem to rub every so slightly and make an annoying squeal noise every sp often.

My question is should I get rid of more liquid? I got rid of ROUGHLY 10 drops. This seems to be excessive.

Should I get rid of a few more drops? Will it cause any problems?

mtbr member
    I always had this issue with my elixxer 5s, it was worse on the front--so I would put pads on the rear to wear they down 1/4 of the way, then throw them on the front. Having said that, the design of the elixxers is pretty sucky, seems that the pad on the opposite side of the hose, doesnt like to move, making the hose side do all the work--eventually the rotor rubs against the caliper--I finally got sick of it and got shimanos--BOTH pads move the same--go figure. It was too bad because I really liked the elixxers (with sintered pads) as they stopped quite well, but once I figured out why they squealed--they were toast