mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Elixir 4 - feels rough

Hello,

On my new bike I have a set of Elixir 4's. This consists of elixir 5 levers and juicy 3 callipers.

The front brake feels nice and smooth when used but sounds a little bit like a turkey. Not too worried about that as I have read a lot of people get this.

The rear was great for about 100miles, no noise and was the brake I used the most as I was used to having a broken V brake on my old bike.

It feels very rough now though, almost like V brakes felt when the rim was covered in gunk.

It looks clean from what I can tell, Is there anything else it could be as I these are my first set of disks.

mtbr member
    when you say gunk, do you mean V brake pad residue or dirt?

If it's brake residue, it's pulsation should feel a bit rubbery - no idea how a disc brake would have this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'd check the pads haven't failed on the 1 side and you've got metal back plates on disk, other than that, confused.

Failing that, clean them, maybe sandpaper over the disk surface to smooth it off and likewise on the pads incase they've glazed.

Ohhh Avid pads are terrible things they don't work at all for my 230lb weight, I'd get some Sintered pads from another make, any doesn't matter, just not avid standard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    I'd check the pads haven't failed on the 1 side and you've got metal back plates on disk, other than that, confused.

Failing that, clean them, maybe sandpaper over the disk surface to smooth it off and likewise on the pads incase they've glazed.

Ohhh Avid pads are terrible things they don't work at all for my 230lb weight, I'd get some Sintered pads from another make, any doesn't matter, just not avid standard.

Oh well that's good to know because I weigh roughly the same.

Do these look any good?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=35413

they seem rather cheap

Tool
    While the Avid semi-metallic pads may not be the best, they're really not bad and shouldn't be anything but smooth.

I would examine the pads for glazing, and give them a good sanding with 400 grit if they are. After sanding, you will need to bed them in again. There's lots of info published on the proper bedding procedure, but key to it is not braking hard until the initial bed-in is done. Too much brake before bed-in causes hot spots between the rotor and pad, and will glaze the pads in these areas, preventing proper bed-in.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    blast them with brake cleaner and burn them in again. works for me (assuming pads are ok)

Members who have read this thread: 0