Thread: Elixir 3R issue

ITL
    mtbr member

Elixir 3R issue

I have a 2013 Specialized Camber Comp with Avid Elixir 3R's on it. I have a strange problem with the rear brake. Sometimes, not every time, when I grab the brake lever it goes all the way to the bar. At other times it functions normally. When it does go all the way to the bar, I find that I can"pump" the brake lever and restore more normal function and regain that firm lever feel. I was looking around the net because somewhere out there I thought I read of a similar problem, and I thought the issues was a faulty seal. Anybody out there know?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I had that happen once on my Elixirs. The pads were worn out completely and I guess the master cylinder was gulping air. New pads fixed it and it's been fine ever since. Didn't have to bleed either.

If that's not it you are probably low on fluid. It's quite possible that there might not have been enough fluid installed at the factory; Avid has had its problems with factory bleeds in the past.

Rub it............
    Need to bleed the brakes. The factory bleed that SRAM puts on them sometimes isn't good enough.

ITL
    mtbr member
    I'll try to re-bled them and see if that helps. Pads should be OK, but I'll check as well.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I have a rear Elixir 5 that was replaced under warranty twice that had the same issue. The final set, that I am still riding, had the same problem as the first 2 when I first got it. The cure was a very extensive bleeding which took almost an hour. Good luck

ITL
    mtbr member
    Thank you Bob. Your story is what I had heard, replacements from the factory were still having the same problem and I knew there was an apparent fix, but I didn't know what that was.