mtbr member
    May 2011

elixir 3 self-adjustment too tight

I was replacing the oil in the lowers of my fork last night, and while the wheel was off, of course I squeezed the lever on my front elixir 3.

Should be no problem, I just took a clean butter knife and worked the pads apart until the pistons were out all the way (with pads still installed).

When I put the wheel back in, I pump the lever a few times and the pads self-adjust to a point where they are closer to the rotor than in the past. It's rideable, but not ideal.

The only thing I've noticed that seems a little funny is that when I'm squeezing the lever, it doesn't always come back out all the way on its own. I can push the lever out with my hand, but it won't do it on its own.

Does this sound like a sticky piston or something else? The brakes are about 5mo old, and have been working perfectly until now, so I'm hoping I can avoid bleeding them. The lever isn't mushy so I think there is no air in the system.

Any help is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sounds like you possibly got a bit of air into the system when you squeezed the lever with the wheel out. My vote would be for a bleed. If that doesn't work, then maybe dismantle the caliper and ensure that the seals have not been damaged/pinched when the pistons extended without the rotor between them. If so, new seals may be required.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I appreciate your response, and when I got home from work today, I was pleased to find that for no apparent reason, everything's back to normal.

But generally, am I mistaken to think that the primary symptom of air in a hydraulic line is mushly lever feel? I didn't think the introduction of air could possibly make the lever feel more rigid.

The only explanation other than a stuck piston that I can imagine is that when I had the bike tilted 90 deg forward, such that my recon's stanchions were parallel to the ground (so oil didn't leak out as I reinstalled the lowers [29er recon]), something funny happened. But whatever it was, it went away after the bike sat overnight on two wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    But generally, am I mistaken to think that the primary symptom of air in a hydraulic line is mushly lever feel? I didn't think the introduction of air could possibly make the lever feel more rigid.
    Primarily, yes. But I have experienced some odd things. I had one lever go crazy solid. Bled the brake and got quite a bit of air. Not sure what happened, or whether it was a result of the air or something else. It can be difficult to diagnose, sometimes.

However, great that everything is back to normal. Enjoy riding!