mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Elixir 3 Piston Cleaning

I can not get my pistons in far enough for new pad installation for rotor clearance. I've been reading to squeeze the lever so the pistons extend out of the caliper for a cleaning but not so far as to introduce air into the system.

Question is how far out will they protrude to safely get them pushed back in without further problems. There also might be too much fluid so I will also try and crack bleed nut at the lever if the cleaning fails.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Anybody?

Tool
    Has the system been bled since the last pad installation? Not being able to fully retract the pistons can be caused by too much fluid in the system.

If the fluid volume is correct and the pistons are indeed sticking, you shouldn't have to worry about extending the pistons to the maximum - extend them as much as you can with the worn pads/rotor, and simply clean/lube what is exposed. Work the pistons back in as far as you can and repeat until they move freely. The other end of the pistons are not likely to need cleaning as they are far less exposed than the pad end of the pistons, and those portions are obviously sliding in and out as they should.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yep - brakes were just bled and I asked for them to do the pads at the same time....but they didn't.

From what I've been reading I might have to bleed off a little fluid. And I ordered the Avid Brake Bleed kit so I can take care of this stuff myself.

Thanks

Tool
    You're on the right path. Be sure to use the correct bleed block for your brakes and you will end up with the correct fluid volume. If your brakes have the pad contact adjustment, be sure it's in the correct position before bleeding. Your bleed kit will ship with full instructions.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.