mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Elixir 3 Brakes - Any Recall Notices Available?

My LBS told me there may be a recall notice for the Elixir 3 brakes I have on my 2012 Scott Scale Elite 29er. I cannot find anything via Google searches. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

The reason this came up is I am having issues with my rear brake, whereby in hot weather the rear brake locks up and the rear tire won't hardly turn. I am hoping there is simply too much fluid in the line and the expansion of the fluid in the 90+ degree weather causes the piston to clamp on the disc. When I get the bike inside, or in cooler weather, the rear brake is not locked up and everything seems to work just fine.

My LBS is going to bleed the front and rear brakes to see if that solves the issue. Think I should be thinking of any other issue in talking with my LBS?

Thanks in advance!

Woody
    2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite

mtbr member
    I was going to make another predictable negative Avid comment, but it is all out there for someone to research & digest...
    Last edited by time229er; 08-06-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks?

mtbr member
    maybe slamming your fist on the counter and demanding "new" brakes might sorta cut-to-the-chase...just a suggestion though, and your LBS is your friend and will need to be your partner in your journey...I maybe getting a little ahead of myself, but...
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Here's something helpful. A couple of years ago there was a TSB, which is not a recall, but can achieve similar results, out on certain Avid Elixir brakes. I know it applied to Elixir 1's manufactured in a certain date range (that fact sticks in my head because it applied to the set of Elixir 1's on one of my bikes at the time) but I don't know if it applied to any other levels of Elixir brake.

That said, your issue is not uncommon. DOT brake fluid absorbs water, so any humidity in your environment *can* work its way into the brake system (even though it's sealed) and become a part of the contents of your brake system. It's this water, not the brake fluid, that is expanding in the heat and locking your brakes. Don't just bleed the brakes, flush the fluid in the system, replace it new fluid. This is recommended procedure on *anything* (including cars) that use DOT fluid, that it be periodically flushed.

mtbr member
    and even more relevant, is the fact the new Shimano brakes do not use DOT brake fluid...just good old fashioned mineral oil
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I had my LBS do a flush and refill/bleed of both the front and rear brakes. They seem to be working properly again as of yesterday afternoon. I store my bike in my garage so we'll see how the rear is when I go out later today, after being in the hot environment for hours.

Regards.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by time229er View Post
    and even more relevant, is the fact the new Shimano brakes do not use DOT brake fluid...just good old fashioned mineral oil
    Which should still be flushed yearly. Nearly every Shimano failure I've seen has been due to people NOT maintaining them.