Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Elixir 1s and Shimano XTs

So I see them pretty much priced the same way...
    I'm considering ditching my Elixir 1s for something with a better reputation for reliability and maybe sell the Elixirs to offset the cost. I'm pretty shocked their cost is so similar.
    Whats that about?

mtbr member
    I don't know but Shimano blows away that SRAM crap. SRAM should just stick to drive trains

mtbr member
    Yea my brakes howl like my bikes getting raped every time I cold brake with them!

mtbr member
    The 2012 shimano xt / slx brakes are a pretty unbeatable brake for the price. Truly the best bang for your buck this past season.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Shimano has brakes locked down tighter then a tiger right now. SLX is thee single best bang for your buck right now. Jump up to XT to save weight, but don't do it for performance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Losungen View Post
    Shimano has brakes locked down tighter then a tiger right now. SLX is thee single best bang for your buck right now. Jump up to XT to save weight, but don't do it for performance.
    I was looking at those too. lately I've seen the XTs on ebay ready to install for $200 for front and rear. That's about the same as the SLX. Although the XTs are chrome, what ever I dont care if they're shinny.

mtbr member
    +1

and if your on a really tight budget the new 2012 Deore are pretty good too.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Shimano all the way!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysop View Post
    I was looking at those too. lately I've seen the XTs on ebay ready to install for $200 for front and rear. That's about the same as the SLX. Although the XTs are chrome, what ever I dont care if they're shinny.
    If you can score a good deal on 2012s, go for it. The changes in 2013 are pretty much cosmetic. You won't be disappointed!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This. My only guess is that Shimano was tired of seeing Avid own the market and priced their brakes aggressively to gain market share.

mtbr member
    Just put some XT's on my Mojo, brilliant!

mtbr member
    What's the difference between the chrome "BR M785" and the black trail ones other than the finned pad? Same thing only difference is color and the pads? I can't find chrome ones anywhere ecept eBay.

Inspector Gadget
    Avids suck. I replaced my elixir 5's with SLX 666's... Did I say avids suck already?
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What's the difference between the chrome "BR M785" and the black trail ones other than the finned pad? Same thing only difference is color and the pads? I can't find chrome ones anywhere ecept eBay.
    Could you provide a link of the two you're comparing?

Things may have changed, but last year it was:
    - No fins= OEM = organic pads
    - Fins = Metallic pads

Personally, I'd go for the metallic pads.

mtbr member
    SHIMANO 2012 DEORE XT Hydraulic Disc Brake Set BL-M785 BR-M785 F + R Bike NEW | eBay

Im looking at these. Not these ones particular but same thing. I keep seeing them very inexspensive $150/200.

compared to these for example.
    NEW Shimano XT BL/BR-M785 Trail Disc Brake Levers/Calipers/Adaptors (F&R) Black | eBay

mtbr member
    SHIMANO 2012 DEORE XT Hydraulic Disc Brake Set BL-M785 BR-M785 F + R Bike NEW | eBay

Im looking at these. Not these ones particular but same thing. I keep seeing them very inexspensive $150/200.

compared to these for example.
    NEW Shimano XT BL/BR-M785 Trail Disc Brake Levers/Calipers/Adaptors (F&R) Black | eBay
    The second set has the "finned pads"

Bluesky often has good deals on these XT brakesets
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    These also are take offs and OEMs. Not that it matters really, but you would be hardpressed to get any sort of warranty out of those.

mtbr member
    So what I don't get is the chrome ones not intended for trail use? You could always just get new pads right? I was starting to think the chrome would look cool on a natural finish frame.
    Why are they making trail ones? what are the other ones for

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The shimano levers are a half inch shorter than the Avid levers so if you want one finger brake positioning you can still reach your shifter with the shimano, not so with the Avid stuff, that sealed the deal for me, I love my XTs soooo much!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There is no XT trail. there is silver and black XT, no difference other then cosmetic. There is XTR trail and race series though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The non-finned ones are just a cheaper/lighter version for OEM and come with organic pads vs metallic for the retail version. The finned metallic pads aren't cheap, so I'd just buy a retail set that comes with them vs buying these and pads unless you place a high value on the color. As mentioned, you'll have a difficult time with warranty on the ones from ebay or any other vendor selling OEM kits.

Also, the retail version will come with a much longer hose and the olive necessary to shorten it. The ones you've linked may not fit your frame if you don't have rather direct hose routing (ie full suspension).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    XT over any garbage SRAM puts out. Switched from Elixir 5's to XT's and it was a world of difference. Unreal amounts of stopping power (im 230 gearead, so im not exactly easy to slow down). Plenty of modulation, smooth feel, and NO NOISE!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ha1yguadal View Post
    don't know but Shimano blows
    Which brakes if their have you used and what don't you like about them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The prices are not the same between elixir 1s and XTs. You need to remember that avid brakes INCLUDE rotors in their pricing. XTs are more expensive.

mtbr member
    I have the 2012 elixir 1s with the hs1 rotors that came on my bike and am not happy with them. They have decent power and modulate well at speed, but are vague for lower speed technical stuff and have a tendency to make the warbling noise unless you do some hard braking a few times first each ride. They arent terrible and I'll keep them for this season, but Id never buy them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast