mtbr member

Elixer Problems - Won't hold pressure...

My lever was down to the grip and getting worse. Before hitting a tree, I decided I was going to service them. I do my mechanics, because A - I want to (I enjoy it) and B - Its a helluva a lot cheaper and faster then my LBSs. I have some very experienced pals who I can lean on when needed and normally I can fix the bike without issue.

Without getting too wordy...

Front Brake: Avid Elixer 5

Attempt 1: Fail.

Attempt 2: I completed the front brake. It worked fine. I squeezed, repeated stopped. Then I went in, ate dinner (bike still on the stand) - went back to clean up and get a test ride in before dark.

I took off the stand and lifted the front wheel in the air and spun it around. After that, there was NO BRAKE at all. The pads will not compress at all and the lever is dead.

Any help, tips, tricks, possible diagnoses ANYTHING will help. If more information is needed, let me know and I will give it to the best of my ability. I'm off the bike right now and I'm starting to get the sweats.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I had that problem with my Elixir 7s. On 3 different occasions, I could pull the lever back to the grip and the pads would never touch the rotor. My LBS was always able to get it working again, usually by adding fluid and bleeding the brakes. But eventually, I replaced them with Shimano XT brakes, and haven't looked back.

The technician at the shop noticed the change, and sent the original brakes back to Avid for warranty replacement. Apparently, they're good about replacing them. It's been more than 3 weeks, and I haven't received a new setup yet. I would be a little irate if I had been without brakes for that much time in mid-summer. But, I'm probably going to sell the new brakes on eBay when they arrive.

If your shop does add fluid to the system to get the Elixirs working again, you'll need to drain out a little of that fluid when you add new pads, or you'll never get the pistons back into the calipers far enough. It's a headache.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Use the correct tools and follow the instructions and video to the letter.
    Chances are you've got air in the system and have moved it during bleeding.
    Alternatively check you've not used the wrong fluid and blown the seals !
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1