mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Elixer CR vs. XTR's

so i am looking at new brakes for my bike and have sorta come down to these, stopping power is not a huge issue as i am 150lbs and its an xc bike. So i am simply looking for opinion of each and any one that has used both as they are about the same price from Chain reaction. Thanks

banned
    Nov 2007
    xtr seem to get very mixed reviews,I'd like to see the response to your post also

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I've read the XTR's aren't all that strong compared to the XT version in order to save weight. That would lead me to believe the Elixir CR's would provide greater stopping power vs the XTR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nobody has used both?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iridexc
    Nobody has used both?

not the XTR, but ive used almost all the other brakes, and i got some Elixer CRs and am in love. the modulation is incredible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    bump, realy interested in the answer if anyone has it
    as i am basically down to these to, atleasty anyone have anything to say agains the Elixer's as i am favoring them

DNINIT
    I am also leaning towards the Elixer crs. I have a few friends that have rode with both and they perfer the elixers. Actually my mined was made up after reading the reviews of the two on this forum. I always heard that the xtr brakes have had problems. After the new year I will be upgrading to the elixer crs.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with itů Pee on it and walk away

mtbr member
    I have the Elixirs CRs and have noticed excellent modulation and stopping power...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMOUNTAIN18
    I have the Elixirs CRs and have noticed excellent modulation and stopping power...
    Ditto. No experience with the XTRs... but came off some K24s, Mono Minis prior to that and must say the Elixir CRs have been great so far.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I pondered this recently and went with the XTR's. My logic:
    • Shimano levers, calipers and hoses are all interchangable and available cheaply & independently. This means I don't have to buy a whole new brake if I bend a lever. etc etc.
    • Shimano levers have generally proven to be more durable in my experience. fewer adjustments on the lever = less stuff to get damaged in a crash.
    • Mineral oil is environmentally friendly and easy to clean up
    • no special tools required to bleed shimanos
    • Elixers are too new to really have proven durability
    • shimanos came in cheaper and lighter

bike rider
    Elixers are no doubt more powerful than XTRs but XTRs are very light. I chose XTs for my DH bike and XTRs for my AM bike. The XTs have plenty of power. I haven't ridden the XTRs yet but they use the same caliper as the XTs minus a few grams due to some machining and the lever is the same but uses a constant ratio rather than XT's servowave. In my opinion the big selling point of Shimano brakes is the extra large gap between the rotor and pads. It's nearly double the pad clearence of Avid and Hayes brakes. This makes for easier setup and less pad rub in real world use. Since you are a lightweight XC rider brake weight and pad rub might mean more to you than having a brake with DH power. Consider that I weigh 170 and I'm gonna use my XTRs on a 6" travel bike on Colorado's high mountain pass decents.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    it is the more proven vs the new brake with rave review, i like the lighter xtr's but i like the prospect of greater stopping power of the elixers and in truth its 200 grams or so
    the cost is the same before factoring in the cost of 6 bolt rotors for the shimanos
    it is a toss up and thus i am looking for head to head comparisons

just as a side note i do like that the avids would match my sram drivtrain but i dont care that much

bike rider
    I just paid $370 for XTR brakes and Alligator rotors. When my calipers come in, hopefully tomarrow, I can give a complete weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iridexc
    it is the more proven vs the new brake with rave review, i like the lighter xtr's but i like the prospect of greater stopping power of the elixers and in truth its 200 grams or so
    the cost is the same before factoring in the cost of 6 bolt rotors for the shimanos
    it is a toss up and thus i am looking for head to head comparisons

just as a side note i do like that the avids would match my sram drivtrain but i dont care that much
    How much does a complete xtr brake weigh? From what I could gather from their website the caliper is 217 grams and the lever is 192 grams. the elixir cr's are only 375 with 160mm rotor. And they're supposed to be between the juicy's and the codes for power, but with way better modulation. I've only got one snow ride on mine so I can't say for sure but they sure seem nice.

bike rider
    I just got my XTR calipers. I'll weigh everything later tonight when i get home and post total weights for front and rear XTR brakes with Alligator rotors.

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I pondered this recently and went with the XTR's. My logic:
    • Shimano levers, calipers and hoses are all interchangable and available cheaply & independently. This means I don't have to buy a whole new brake if I bend a lever. etc etc.
    • Shimano levers have generally proven to be more durable in my experience. fewer adjustments on the lever = less stuff to get damaged in a crash.
    • Mineral oil is environmentally friendly and easy to clean up
    • no special tools required to bleed shimanos
    • Elixers are too new to really have proven durability
    • shimanos came in cheaper and lighter
    I picked up a set of new xtr at a local swap meet on the cheap....and share the same logic on going with shimano,how have they been...some of the reviews talk of rotor rub and problems with sticking piston....pass on your feedback

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I have both. I have been happy overall with my xtr's. Power and modulation are not as good and I have had one case of a sticky piston but for the 8 months I have run them on my 29er they have been fine. I recently got a new Epiphany and I wanted something new. My LBS gave me a bro deal on the CR's $130 per wheel. I could not pass that up. I have about 10 rides on them and I am blown away by how well they work. As I said in my review I feel like they will stop a train. My XTR's work like an on/off switch, the Avids are more progressive. Setup is super easy and I never get any drag. I also like that I can use avid matchmakers to save a little weight.

bike rider
    XTR weights:
    Levers w/ hose coupling & rubber cover: 102grams each
    Calipers, IS w/ hose coupling, pads, bolts: F-109, R-112
    Hose w/ olives & barbs (cut to fit XL Ibis Mojo & DUC32): F-12, R-24
    Alligator rotors 160mm: 94 each
    Oil: F- 9, R- 13
    Total for set: 671grams

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    XTR weights:
    Levers w/ hose coupling & rubber cover: 102grams each
    Calipers, IS w/ hose coupling, pads, bolts: F-109, R-112
    Hose w/ olives & barbs (cut to fit XL Ibis Mojo & DUC32): F-12, R-24
    Alligator rotors 160mm: 94 each
    Oil: F- 9, R- 13
    Total for set: 671grams

so the elixers are only about 70ish grams extra, think ill go for them when i have the cash
    thanks to all who helped

bike rider
    Too bad Avid didn't make the Elixers with a radial master cylinder. For some reason I really like them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm tempted by some Elixir CRs myself. Does anyone know if Avid have ditched that awful 'nubbin' on the caliper pistons that retain the brake pads, now that they use a pin to retain the pads?

If they have it might be enough to sway me away from the Hope Tech X2s....

Now if only Avid would ditch that tri-align system!

Masher
    I ran a set of elixers and they were guilty of the same "turkey warble" that avid has become famous for.

I understand that not everyone will experience this but now I have a set of Hayes and they are silent as the grave.

If not for that "warble" I loved the elixers. But I'd rather not have brakes than have to deal with that nonsense again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    MisterC - what are the Hayes (presumably Strokers?) like compared to the Elixirs in terms of power and modulation?

Masher
    Yeah, Hayes Stroker Carbon, sorry for that oversight.

It's hard for me to say since I was dealing with that warble so much before I swapped em out. Modulating your brakes with that going on is a nightmare.

The Hayes are more powerful in my mind but again I don't know how the "warble" affected the power of the Elixers. For the brief times that the Elixers were behaving I thought they were phenomenal but it was hard to get a good feel for them since I'm sure the pads had to rebed a little after every adjustment and such variables sort of bias my ride report.

I'd say the Hayes are more power, less modulation. These things really grab.