CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??

Elixer CR review

After riding these brakes down some steeeeep tech gnar, I have to say they're easily the strongest brakes I've used, but to clarify I've only used Avid brakes since my 1st disc setup- Avid mechs. My hand tends to get thrashed by shifting and braking, IMO, a lil'bit more than the average rider so I'm always lookin' for strong brakes; I have found them in the Elixer CR.
    These brakes are very adjustable & I can understand where some people think they're "on-off". However, I have found that with a lil adjusting on lever throw and pad contact you can dial them in to your taste & if they don't hit "exactly" the spot you're looking for, they'll be close enough so you don't feel as though you've bought the wrong brake for your type of riding.
    Personally w/my riding "requirements", (ie; having one hand), it helps tremendously to have very adjustable components to relieve stress and pain that causes my focus to be more on dealing w/pain rather than railing the trail I'm on.
    I had the intention of putting a set of Code calipers on the Elixer levers, however at this point, unless something changes "the Elicer CR's have plenty of power for me "as is". I can see myself riding hotter into corners and such, so there may come a time where the Code caliper/Elixer lever "Franken-brake" will be "stitched together for some "monsterous braking". (pun intened )
    I've heard of Elixers developing a screaming shake/vibration that renders them useless for some riders, (see Elixer CR reviews here on MTBR), I hope this doesn't become my problem as well. We'll see.....lovin' my Elixers.

The only thing, at this point, that I think Avid needs to work on is: when you turn the pad contact adjuster, the hose wants to turn as well. This will negate any possibility of on the fly adjustment. Not sure what the remedy is or will be, but I still love the power these brakes have.
    Last edited by man w/ one hand; 09-16-2009 at 11:30 AM.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"