mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Elixer CR Problems

Hi,
    I just did a buildup. The Elixer CR 180mm disk did not index to the caliper on the front (White Bros Fluid 135, Hope Pro II with 20mm thru axle). I had to install about 2 mm spacers to move the caliper inboard to even start to make it work. It is still maxed out inboard in the oval mounts and now it squeaks! Intermittently but frequently. What have I done wrong?
    OK, the back brake is on, too. Same brake - CR 180mm - on my '07 Niner Rip 9. Hope Pro II hub, 10 mm axle bolts. That indexes OK, but I also get an intermittent squeak on that one. I've tightened and loosened it as directed.
    Any advice?
    Thanks!
    Dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Update

Well, I should know by now not to just post a question - search first! Having read the exhaustive posts on similar problems I went to work last night and fixed the problem! On the front brake I moved the hanger inboard by another mm or so, so the caliper's mounting holes were not maxed out and could actually adjust to the right place. I took off the pads and beveled the edges. I cleaned everything then I put a very small coating of grease on the sort of ball and socket washers. Reinstalled, and they are perfect! No drag, no noise, instant engagement (courtesy of the very tight clearance between pads and disk).

On the back I took off the caliper, took out the pads and gave them a similar treatment. Greased the washers as described above, put it together, torqued it and it is perfect. Absolutely quiet breaks, instant linear engagement that is as powerful as I need them to be.