mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Elixer CR mar pad adjusters

i have a 6 month old bike that came with CRs with the adjustable pad contact barrel. Problem is, from new they were all the way adjusted to have the pads closest to the rotor. Now as the pads wear, I have no room to adjust?? Is there a way I can turn the adjusters back out and then bleed the system or something to get the pads back out and my lever back.

Are CRs normally sold new with the barrels all the way in ( or pads out)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    The reach adjuster on the CR does not move the pads at all. It adjusts at what point the piston in the master cylinder moves during lever through. The pads remain at a constant distance from the rotors and are self adjusting for wear.

The two most common problems that can cause what you describe is a need for bleeding, or a stuck piston. I would also check for pad wear as well on general principles.

The position of the pad contact adjuster from the factory has no bearing on the problem. As noted above the contact adjuster doesn't move the pads.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

There are 2 adjusters

on the Mags there are reach adjusters which only change the position of the lever and pad contact adjusters which actually push the pistons out to change where in the stroke the pad actually contacts. These pad adjusters are the large barrels at the intersection of the lever and line.

I am referring to the pad adjusters, not the reach adjusters.

Anyone have info on how to turn the pad adjusters out (or retract the pistons in) and then get the lever back. Do I need to turn them out then bleed them? If so, what type of fluid do these use?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sorry iammemares but you are wrong Avid do not make any hydraulic disk brakes with adjusters which actually push the pistons out to change where in the stroke the pad actually contacts. The pad contact adjuster is very poorly named and often causes confusion as it dose not move the pistons or the pads it adjusts at what point the piston in the master cylinder moves during lever through.
    If you are having pad clearance issues try pushing the pistons back into there bores and bleeding the system.
    Ed

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Sorry iammemares, "reach adjuster" in the first sentence in my original post is a typeo. I meant pad contact adjuster. My bad. However the rest still stands, the contact adjuster does not move the pads.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Members who have read this thread: 0