mtbr member

Elixer cr mag help

So I recieved a set of Elixer CR Mag brakes as a warranty replacement for jucy ultimates. I really liked the brakes on all the normal rides with high and low speed braking working well with no noise, good power, great modulation; I'm overall very happy with the brakes until my last 2 rides. These trails are very steep and technical and I have to stay hard on the brakes for very long stretches to stay in control. On those rides the noise was a very tollerable amount of brake squeel but a ton of rythem grating. Thet still work great under light loads but they don't like the steep. Anyone else experienced this? Did you solve it? Thanks for any help.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    what do you mean 'they don't like the steep' and what do you mean by 'rythem grating'
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member

I'll try to be clearer

When I'm on more gradual decents where I use the brakes to slow for corners and the occational steep section only, they work well. When I'm on very steep, rocky, rutted decents where the brakes are used continuously for control, or when I need to really squeeze the lever hard the rythmic grating noise occures; by rythmic grating noise I mean it feels and sounds like there might be something on the pad scraping the openings on the rotor. I've checked and the pads and rotors looked fine, which they should having less than 10 rides on them. Maybe a different pad compound would help.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i've got the same(i think) on my bb7s, except only on the rear one. i've tried different pads, didn't help. It doesn't really make them work any differently, they just feel weird.

mtbr member

I'll try to be clearer

When I'm on more gradual decents where I use the brakes to slow for corners and the occational steep section only, they work well. When I'm on very steep, rocky, rutted decents where the brakes are used continuously for control, or when I need to really squeeze the lever hard the rythmic grating noise occures; by rythmic grating noise I mean it feels and sounds like there might be something on the pad scraping the openings on the rotor. I've checked and the pads and rotors looked fine, which they should having less than 10 rides on them. Maybe a different pad compound would help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sintered pads generally will have a bit better bite and less squeal. I think you may have a very slight mis-alignment issue. This may be the caliper, or it may be the pistons coming out of the bore slightly out of square.

In long descents the brakes may squeal due to heat, but they should quieten down once they cool.

What rotor sizes do you run??
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    awww man I know EXACTLY what you are talking about... I have this same weird sound and feel on my rear on mine... I recently got them and brought them back to the shop that installed them as soon as it started and my mechanic said it was not anything to worry about...

it only happens when i really grab ALOT of rear brake and has a kind of scrapy crunchy sound/feel... "rhythmic grating noise" describes it pretty well...

I would not worry about it... I too have less than 10 rides on mine... if you find that different pads work to reduce the oddness I would like to know!!!

does it happen to your front? cause mine is totally 100% fine (hope i dont jinx myself)

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Simple...HEAT! dragging the brakes causes heat, heat causes metal to expand, viola!!! noise!! Not tryin to be a smarta$$, this just happens when things get hot. Rotor are never exactly ''tru'' . Trying a different compound may work for you, I prefer a mettalic pad. Also try using your front brake more on the steeps. I know it sounds crazy, but the combination of controlled front and rear braking is much better than using just one to slow you down. You also did not mention what size rotors you are running. If they are 6'',and you ride alot of long downhills then you may want to go up in rotor size. Hope this helps.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpeteinsc
    Simple...HEAT! dragging the brakes causes heat, heat causes metal to expand, viola!!! noise!! Not tryin to be a smarta$$, this just happens when things get hot. Rotor are never exactly ''tru'' . Trying a different compound may work for you, I prefer a mettalic pad. Also try using your front brake more on the steeps. I know it sounds crazy, but the combination of controlled front and rear braking is much better than using just one to slow you down. You also did not mention what size rotors you are running. If they are 6'',and you ride alot of long downhills then you may want to go up in rotor size. Hope this helps.
    NOT so simple. If the OP is having the same problem I am it happens no matter if hot or cold. It will happen in my driveway that is 30 feet long with an elevation change of about 5 feet. or in a parking lot if you grab the whole rear brake.

So i would say that heat has 0% to do with it

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    I doubt this is the issue, but make sure that there is adequate clearance between the top of the rotor and the caliper body.
    I am ByStickel
    ByStickel Facebook Please take a look.

mtbr member

160mm

I even tried using hope 160mm rotors to see if it helped; it didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    Sintered pads generally will have a bit better bite and less squeal. I think you may have a very slight mis-alignment issue. This may be the caliper, or it may be the pistons coming out of the bore slightly out of square.

In long descents the brakes may squeal due to heat, but they should quieten down once they cool.

What rotor sizes do you run??

mtbr member

nope not allways heat

I'm sure heat is a factor on long decents but as driveby said, if I hop on my bike and go down a super steep spot with the bike totall cold I get the grating noise. The brakes work well they just feel like they are tearing themseves aparrt on the steep stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveByBikeShooting
    NOT so simple. If the OP is having the same problem I am it happens no matter if hot or cold. It will happen in my driveway that is 30 feet long with an elevation change of about 5 feet. or in a parking lot if you grab the whole rear brake.

So i would say that heat has 0% to do with it

mtbr member
    I have normal Elixirs and have experienced the grating sound as well. About a week ago I took the pads out to inspect them. They looked fine. I cleaned all the brake dust off with rubbing alcohol and reinstalled them. So far I they haven't repeated the sound. Maybe coincidence, and most likely temporary, but so far so good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ah yes, the glazed pad issue. Can happen sometimes during break-in. I actually use one of those flat 'stones' used for knife sharpening. Rub the pad up and down half a dozen times and a new pad it will look again. Has worked on the noise I think the OP is talking about
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

ol' dusty lungs
    my guess is that the "rhythmic grating" feel (totally different from brake squeel, which is just noise) is from pads contacting the rotor tines... look at the braking track to see where the pads are contacting the rotor... if there is contact on the tines you can always try throwing another set of washers into your cps stack to move the caliper a bit further out. or try G2 rotors, if i remember correctly they have a wider braking surface compared to the G3.

mtbr member
    Hello Slowrider

I have the Elixir CR Mag brakes and i think iīve got the same problem in the rear
    First i thought it was the alignment of the rotors with the Pads or even the Pads. Maybe the bleeding...
    But after taking the Pads off the piston and pressing the lever a few times i saw that one of the piston was not coming out or just a little while the other was working fine.

That causes different pressures in the pads and in the rotor so it doesnīt work well and it makes that sound.

Iīm going to take mines to the shop and see what is the solution. But speaking with the mechanic by phone he told me that there is a MEMBRANE inside the brake and it sometimes brakes... so maybe thatīs the problem.